Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brenda adams Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
    Seasalt laxative
    I am going to do a master cleanse,but before you do it you are supposed to do what's called a salt flush wich is two teaspoons of sea salt in 32 oz. of water and that is supposed to well-flush out your waste like a laxative.the problem is I've done two and no flush,but I am always really,really constipated because of a medication I have to take everyday.my question is can I keep drinking these until I get rid of my waste?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:05 AM

This is a stupid thing to do. Adding a lot of extra salt to your diet, whether sprinkled on fries or in a glass of water will just stress your kidneys and upset your electrolyte balance. It is not a laxative, and there is no reason to think it will cure constipation.

To be honest, the whole master cleanse thing is a load of hogwash. Your liver and kidneys do an excellent job of keeping you detoxed and healthy. If you seriously think you could benefit from a detox, then just spend a couple of days eating fresh whole food, especially fruit and veg and drinking water. Cut out all the processed food, coffee, cola, fried food, sweeteners and other junk.

By the way, I bet that will shift your bowels a lot better than salt.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 08:25 PM

Your body does not need a "detox".

You want to detox, eat more fruits, vegetables and add more fiber in your diet.

The last thing you want to do is add more salt in your diet; not only will it do what Eileen has already mentioned above, but salt makes you swollen and "puffy".

Sarah
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 08:35 PM

Talk to your pharmacist or doctor about a laxative if you won't "go" with the excellent suggestions already given. RiteAid has a good one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bangkok pills, Laxative tea.. [ 5 Answers ]

Shoot! As far as I can remember, I took bangkok for almost half a year with laxative herbal tea.. I had a break then a friend became interested, which enticed me to take again.. I experienced difficulty in breathing and palpitations.. I'm not fat, I have an average built.. But I want to be really...

View more questions Search