Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKoester Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Crawl space wall
    I'm rebuilding a room over a crawl space,unvented, I have 6 mil on the ground and will have ins. Between the joists.
    I have access to the tops of the block that makes up the walls, 2 rows on a footing.
    Should I 1--just leave them as is 2-- fill them with the sandy soil from the crawl space 3--fill them with styrafoam beads that I have?

Thanks for your time---Art
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 07:52 AM

Filling the voids in the block with strofoam certainly will help but not as much as venting the crawl. Which do you think is your bigger issue, humidity or insulation from the cold?

Jun 28, 2009, 11:40 AM

Everything looked good under the floor,all was dry. So I'm mostly looking for insulation.
    Living in Northern Wisconsin.

Jun 28, 2009, 04:04 PM

Insulating the holow block that makes your foundation will give minimal insulation. You do plan to insulate the cavity between the floor joits and will produce the most benefit. If you have the foam and the time, go ahead but again minimal help. Tell me about the insulation between the joists and is there a vapor barrier, which side?

Jun 28, 2009, 06:00 PM

Going to nail furring strips to the bottom of the joists. This will hold up 1/2" blue styrafoam cut 14 1/2" wide between the joists.
    Then I'm going to fill the space with insalation, batts or sty. Beads or blown in cel. Not sure yet.
    Then a 6 mil. Plastic cover and 3/4" T&G plywood.

Jun 29, 2009, 10:05 AM

Rigid foam board insulation does not seal well between joists so taping is required, or use batts which fit snuggly.

Jun 29, 2009, 02:09 PM

Only using the foam board to hold up the rest of the ins.

Jun 29, 2009, 05:40 PM

Furring strips could do that, some folks even use poultry cloth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crawl space [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! I'm from Ontario Canada. I bought a house last July, it's approx. 55 ft by 40 ft with a crawl space of 16 inches in height. There is 2 windows (screens) at each end of the 55 ft length and I was told by the owner to block the windows with styrofoam to keep it warm during the winter time so...

Heating a Crawl Space [ 2 Answers ]

I have done the insulation and vapor barrier and dehumidification of my crawl space. It is still cold. Can I put a propane space heater in there to keep it warm?

AC Compressor in crawl space [ 4 Answers ]

I plan on moving my 5 ton AC comressor under my house. The space is 6 feet high near the front of building, and slopes up to 18 inches at back of building. I plan to put a wall fan on the front wall of the crawl space; which will run when the compressor runs. Any ideas, suggestions or opinions...

Crawl space [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there... I've recently came upon a problem with condensation within the home (mini home). Each morning all the windows are really wet and the window sill is soaked! After going under the house I've noticed that things are pretty wet there too. Is there something you can get to...

Crawl space [ 1 Answers ]

I need help on how much lime I need for crawl space.:o :o

View more questions Search