Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adarric Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Cement board
    Why is some cement board rated for walls but others are not?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 07:59 AM

Which brand are you referring to? We use 1/4" on floors and 1/2' on wall generally because of the rigidity required for the application. A floor will not deflect because it sits on a 3/4" sub, walls can deflect if not 1/2"
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jun 28, 2009, 09:50 PM
    That's not the reason for using 1/4 on floors and 1/2 on walls. You can use either on floors, but you shouldn't even think of using 1/4 on walls. Use 1/2" on walls mainly because that is the thickness of wallboard that it often has to transition to.

Jaz
    mechanincline Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 11:08 PM

Jazman is rite

Jun 29, 2009, 10:02 AM

adarric, I don't think anyone has been able to answer your actual qusetion yet because we still need to hear from you. Where do you see a rating for the cement board you want to buy? Form follows function, so a great deal depends on your application. Most cement board on walls will be covered with tile. Thickness of 1/2" cementboard, thinset and tile can approach 3/4" or more, so you would need to decide how you want to transition to another surface, if any.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Jun 29, 2009, 08:39 PM
    ballengerb1,

You said;

"Thickness of 1/2" cementboard, thinset and tile can approach 3/4" or more, so you would need to decide how you want to transition to another surface, if any."

What the heck are you talking about?:eek:

Jaz

Jun 30, 2009, 08:42 AM

Jazman, you brought up the issue of transition in post #3. Have you tried to answer the primary question asked by Adarric? That is what we are here for.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jun 30, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Which brand are you referring to? We use 1/4" on floors and 1/2' on wall generally because of the rigidity required for the application. A floor will not deflect because it sits on a 3/4" sub, walls can deflect if not 1/2"
    Actually, when Hardi first came out, it was 1/4" only and they sold 1 1/2" strips for furring out the walls to join up with sheet rock. 1/2" cement board makes it easier to join up with 1/2" rock.

I really don't understand the question about how to transition between the tile and another surface...

Bullnose, rondec, surface cap tile, mud cap, moldings, etc, never been a question for as long as tile has been installed.

The only reason, besides the need for meeting up with another wall surface (such as sheetrock) would be the flextural strength of the board. If you were going for an old floated wall look without floating the walls or furring out the walls, you could actually top off 1/2" with 1/4" and then use mud cap to transition the wall tile back to the existing wall. I've use 1/4" on the wall many times to transition glass tile with stone to bring them all to the same plane.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

Cutting cement board [ 2 Answers ]

With what do I cut a hole, for toilet, in cement board/hardiebacker board? Can I just use a jigsaw?

Cement board with in the whole house [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing all the sheet rock in my entire house. The insulation behind it all is garbage. A friend of mine told me to use cement board for all the walls and ceilings. I am trying to find out if would be a good idea or not. It sounds good for sounds proofing between rooms and all but I don't...

Cement board [ 1 Answers ]

I plan on installing cement board behind a wood burning open stove on an outside deck. Do I need backing behing the cement board and can it be colored using high temp paint?

Wallpaper over cement board [ 1 Answers ]

Can I wallpaper over new cement board and if so, how do I prepare the board? Thanks.

View more questions Search