Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baconvet Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Caring for a fawn
    I'm taking care of an orphaned whitetail fawn. It's been many years since I've done this so here goes: This fawn is only a few days old and I've been feeding it with warm calf/lamb milk extract in powder form mixed with warm water. I've been mixing about half cup powder with 1 quart water. So far, the fawn is taking this mixture. How often should I be feeding the fawn and is the mixture close to correct?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 07:00 AM

I don't know how anyone here could answer your question correctly, like every human, every animal has different needs. I have raised a tiny pup on an eye dropper but I first consulted a vet for proper food and found out I could offer similac and progressed to a baby bottle.

However, although your intentions are good, you should call the animal shelter so they can find a proper home, possibly a reserve so the little thing can be cared for and returned to the wild here it belongs and can thrive. At times they can find a surrogate mother to care for an orphaned animal such as this one.

Consult a vet that you know, and ask for proper nutrition information.

Tick

Jun 28, 2009, 08:42 AM
    [QUOTE=tickle;1823488]I don't know how anyone here could answer your question correctly, like every human, every animal has different needs. I have raised a tiny pup on an eye dropper but I first consulted a vet for proper food and found out I could offer similac and progressed to a baby bottle.

However, although your intentions are good, you should call the animal shelter so they can find a proper home, possibly a reserve so the little thing can be cared for and returned to the wild here it belongs and can thrive. At times they can find a surrogate mother to care for an orphaned animal such as this one.

Consult a vet that you know, and ask for proper nutrition information.

(QUOTE=baconvet) I appreciate the reply and intentions, however, I've raised many wild animals here on my 38 acre hobby farm way out in the sticks in Northwestern Minnesota and another doe will not care for a fawn that is not her own. I'll continue with what I am doing. The fawn has readily taken for the mixture I am feeding it. Again, thanks for the concern.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 09:17 AM

Hi baconvet, you didn't say in your original post that you had the experience that you just revealed. It would have helped and probably altered my reply if I had know. Good for you. I am glad someone, and I hope many others, have the complete dedication and caring attitude to take on a daunting task such as the one you have before you.

By surrogate mothers, I didn't mean necessarily another doe, as I know that is not possible, but surrogate mothers come in many forms for fawns. I guess you have filled that bill, so to speak, and the fawn has already bonded with you.

I hope the little thing thrives on your care.

Kindest regards

Ms tickle
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 02:12 PM

What are the laws where you live? Is it legal to raise and a keep a wild animal?

I applaud you for wanting to help, but by doing this chances are the fawn will never be able to live in the wild, be what he's meant to be.

Wild animals aren't pets and shouldn't be treated as such.

Best to call the nearest wildlife rescue. They'll care for the fawn in a way that will allow it to be released later on.
    handyamby Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Aug 10, 2009, 08:21 PM

Good luck, don't have any info for you. We just happened upon a fawn and we hope the mom came back. We looked up how to feed it and what you are doing is what we read so hope it works out and let us know.

Aug 11, 2009, 01:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by handyamby View Post
    Good luck, don't have any info for ya. We just happened upon a fawn and we hope the mom came back. We looked up how to feed it and what you are doing is what we read so hope it works out and let us know.
    Our fawn, a buck I just found out has the buttons on hos forehead and from underneith his genitails. He's running around a lot and coming back several times a day right to the front porch for his milk replacer which I let my 7 year old daughter feed him. Than the two romp and play just like best friends. He doesn't really need this feeding any more, he just likes it, and does put on some pounds. He's losing his spots now and can easily out run any coyote/ but if he gets to tiring and wet and muddy, he'll just go in the barn and take a nap. He's part of the family now as a pet and at the start of deer hunting season, baby, the fawn, will be penned up for the duration of the season with access to the barn where he knows he's safe. He has been running with other fawns, always come home where it's safe, and, ofcouse, another bottle of milk waiting. Ive been keeping him free of ticks and mites and burrs. Keeping the sleep out of his eyes and at the same time I'm grooming him he's licking the salt of my head, face, and arms. So, We have definitely bonded. {QUOTE}

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Caring boyfriends [ 2 Answers ]

So I read a lot about guys not wanting to marry girls that 'make it to easy' https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-218739.html What's the opinion on guys being the overcaring one? Is it the same just roles reversed or do girls like a guy like that?

Looking for a cartoon movie about an orphaned fawn (not Bambi) [ 2 Answers ]

When I was a little girl (in the early 80s) I watched an animated film about a fawn who loses his mother during a snowstorm. This is what I remember. They are walking together in the snowstorm looking for shelter. The fawn tells his mom that he's too tired and can't go on. His mother realizes...

Caring for minor [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: We have a child we have been caring for in our home for the past 6 months. Prior to being with us the child was in Foster Care for 4 years. The beginning of last year the child's Foster Parent was granted Guardianship with the Biological parents still having Full Parental Rights. The...

Am I Caring Too Much? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend mentioned to me today that I care too much about him. Apparently, since he signed off Instant Messenger in the middle of the conversation and didn't come back; I called him about 20 minutes after. He told me I didn't need to worry like that, but the thing is, he has diabetes and after...

Caring for birds [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I'm pretty sad today A baby pigeon fell from a nest 2 days ago and I have been trying to take care of it with the hopes of it getting better and flying away one day. It was fine up until lastnight, eating and playing in the saucer of water I gave it. This morning I woke up and it was...

View more questions Search