Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1lostyankee Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 05:04 AM
    How do I "toughen up" these dogs?
    I searched the pet threads and was surprised not to find anything about this...

We have 2 male dogs (a beagle mix, 30 lbs, and an Australian Shepherd, 65 lbs) and they crave affection/attention ALL THE TIME. This is our only problem with them. They constantly want to be touched. They get insanely jealous when I give attention to our 15-yr old female terrier. I am so tired of telling them to go away, I wish they would just toughen up already - get used to the amount of affection they do get. And even when we do give them a lot of affection (which is not every day), it's still never enough.

They listen very well, except when people come visit. Their desire for attention is stronger than anything else. They will crowd the person and sometimes jump up. All I can think to do, since they won't listen to me, is hold them back or leash them temporarily. But at whatever point I let them go, they will crowd the person. I wish they were more like the terrier who sniffs them and then walks away.

How can we change this? (The beagle is 3 and the Aussie is 9.) Should we keep them away from us for a few hours each evening, like in another room or outside or in a crate?

Thanks so much.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 05:14 AM

You have to be the alpha, the pack leader and if you have ever seen a wolf pack react to this type of situation(all the alpha male has to do is look at the offending parties and all ceases) you would know what to do. They must respect your command, your will has to be stronger more direct so that they know all they are going to get is a pat on the head, scratch on the back and then a 'good dog' and a command that firmly states 'that is enough!'.

Now you are going to have to try and retrain, figure out how you are to become the alpha now so that you can love them, and they know it, even from a distance, like across the room.

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
    I think you didn't look for the right titles on these threads. Look for "Training," which is what you and your animals need. It will actually involve spending MORE time with them, teaching them what their jobs are. Once they learn, they will be much happier and so will you. You might consider classes in your area, to learn how to teach your pups.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 06:27 PM

Dogs are not like people, like we suppose. Dogs appreciate being told what to do. They do not need to be rewarded with a pet whenever they do something right. What they appreciate is you being strong (alpha) and consistent with them.

A dog training class may be really helpful. Just being around other owners, dogs and trainers can give you valuable perspective. Talking to a dog trainer, in person, about the specific problem you are having may get you over the hump.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 02:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    Dogs are not like people, like we suppose. Dogs appreciate being told what to do. They do not need to be rewarded with a pet whenever they do something right.
    Good advice but I am not in total agreement about their need for positive reinforcement. A "pet" isn't the only kind, but it is a good one. They do need to know they have made you happy.
    1lostyankee Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 10:10 AM

I read a great training book by Jon Katz called "Katz on Dogs." I guess we can't teach them what their jobs are if we don't even know. The Australian Shepherd has nothing to do, we don't have anything for him to "herd" and right now it's 90 degrees every day so he can't be outside much. We have tried to teach him the simplest things, but he doesn't want to do anything except lay down and be touched.

In this day and age I don't understand what a dog's job is, what are we supposed to teach them to do?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lostyankee View Post

In this day and age I don't understand what a dog's job is, what are we supposed to teach them to do?
    Good question lost, but I guess we are supposed to teach them to be a member of the family actually. A member of the family that can accept us for what we are and love and trust us; to protect us the way we protect them. That is what came to my mind initially.

It is a shame though, as you say, that you have an Australian sheep dog with nothing to herd, but I bet she hasn't forgotten what she was born to do, and if a herd of sheep or cattle came down your street, those ears would perk up and she would be right there doing her job.

We just love them for who they are and what we expect them to be, good friends.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do dogs go through a "terrible twos"phase? [ 13 Answers ]

Please help me! I have had my pom for 2 weeks now and he is 7 weeks old. The first week and a half he was a gentle laid back dog who barely made a whimper. Now that he has gotten used to the family he is a lot more playful and animated which was cute at first. Now his teeth are coming in more and...

Weird ? About my dogs "privates" [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a Malamute/Siberian Husky mix. He already has hip dysplasia (was born with it) and is 2 1/2 years old. Due to his Hip Dysplasia we have been doing massages on his legs, hips, butt area forever, even actually before we knew he had it because he would literally back up to us and...

"morning after" pill for dogs [ 3 Answers ]

I know this is a strange question, but does anyone know if there is a treatment (whether by pill or shot) to prevent a pregnancy that may have occurred? I have a pure bred dog and she just went into heat last night. I wasn't sure if she looked swollen or not last night, so I didn't want to board...

"Morning after" pill for dogs? [ 1 Answers ]

We THOUGHT we took all the necessary precautions to keep our 1 1/2 year old purebred Weimaraner from being bred... needless to say the Sheltie found its way out of a 6' privacy fence and she found her way out of the kennel on the other side of the house. I came home to them being tied in the...

View more questions Search