Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winnie_barkey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 01:05 AM
    Dog epilepsy
    Hi,
    My dog was having epilepsy problem, what should I do ?
    Something it can happen 3 time a day, mostly happen once a week.
    She is a 2 year old west highland terrier
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 01:17 AM

Hi winnie, do you think it might be a good idea to take the little thing to a vet ?

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2009, 11:11 AM

I agree with Tickle, he needs to go to the vet to find out what medication is best for him (or if it is even epiliepsy)

Seizures can be controlled and in some cases almost erradicated with the right medication.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 11:35 AM

My poor old Schnauzy started having seizures when she was l4. She had a good life, nothing could be done. I brought her home and carried her out and in (she was a standard) when she wanted to go. She was always a very clean dog. Her world was going around, standing out there, wondering what she wanted to do, or propped up to my leg and her head going in circles. The vet wanted me to keep her that way. Her and I knew absolutely that we couldn't continue that way, so off we went and had her put to sleep. Miss her to this day and so does Taffy my walker hound, and that is another story.

Sad again tick:( and off to work)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2009, 12:53 PM

You did the right thing Tick, it wouldn't have been nice for her having to put up with it.
    *big hugs*
    You're a special lady :)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 03:11 PM

To the vet! They will be able to prescribe medication to deal with the problem. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 03:40 PM

Are you sure it's epilepsy?

My lab has epilepsy, had many seizures daily. I do agree that a vet should assess your dog, but, and I say this guardedly, I don't agree with epilepsy medications.

We tried everything for our lab, not only did it not help the seizures, but it changed his life for the worse.

We finally found a great vet and his recommendation was green beans. Yes, green beans, daily, cooked, in his food.

He hasn't had a seizure since 2002.

The vet is your best bet, and do try the meds, not all dogs are the same, but also give the green beans a try, they won't hurt, could change your dogs life.

Good luck.
    winnie_barkey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 09:57 PM
    Hi dear all... thanks a lot for the advise... I think the best idea is to try out with gren bean!! Hope its works for her
    Pets Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by winnie_barkey View Post
    hi dear all....thanks a lot for the advise...i think the best idea is to try out with gren bean!!! hope its works for her
    So do I.

It worked wonders for our lab. He's been medication free and seizure free since 2001.

Let us know how it goes. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 08:39 AM

I also had an epileptic German Shepherd - she did just fine on medication.

Dog should be evaluated and diagnosed by a Vet and then treatment can begin.
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I also had an epileptic German Shepherd - she did just fine on medication.

Dog should be evaluated and diagnosed by a Vet and then treatment can begin.
    I agree Judy.

I did say to go to the vet, try meds, but adding green beans to the mix, or until the vet appointment, isn't a bad idea.

All dogs are different. A medication that doesn't work for one may do wonders for another.

With our lab we never found a medication that he did well with. The green beans worked. I could kiss the vet that recommended them.

It's still always best to go to the vet, have testing done, make sure you know exactly what you're dealing with.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 09:56 AM

Wasn't second guessing you - I wanted to make sure OP knew that there is medication out there which is available.

I prefer an alternative to medication (as I know you do) and your suggestion is certainly sound.

Again - not second guessing you, just mentioning that epilepsy in dogs IS treatable.
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Wasn't second guessing you - I wanted to make sure OP knew that there is medication out there which is available.

I prefer an alternative to medication (as I know you do) and your suggestion is certainly sound.

Again - not second guessing you, just mentioning that epilepsy in dogs IS treatable.
    :)

I totally agree Judy.

Also, I'm sure that there are many newer meds available now that weren't available when my dog went through this.

I do prefer natural treatments as much as possible, but I'm not against meds if the quality of life isn't compromised.

It is treatable. There's no reason why a dog should have to go through life having seizures.

Hugs Judy. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 10:00 AM

< group hug, group hug >
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 10:03 AM
    < group hug, group hug >
    With the dogs! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sister might have epilepsy, can she just get it at 18? [ 9 Answers ]

My sister has been fainting when she has been in nightclubs and says now that she is fainting when looking at the flames of a fire, can she get it at 18, can it just come on like that? Also I was wondering how will it affect her in the long term, if she does have it, will there be side effects...

Epilepsy medicine [ 7 Answers ]

Is there somewhere my daughter can get help with her epilepsy medication? It's $142.00 a month and she can't afford it.

Epilepsy & St. Bernards [ 6 Answers ]

Our St. Bernard is almost 4 years old and was diagnosed with epilepsy. She is presently on phenabarbetol and we have had good luck with controlling the seizures. Since she started the medication in April 2009, she has only had two seizures. My question is this, I read an article about giving...

Epilepsy? There is a cure. [ 12 Answers ]

Thirty years ago I came across a solution for epilepsy and I tried it first on a friend who had grand mal fits every day. I thin advertised... her fits stopped, but when she told her doctor he said he would strike her off his books if she continued "this foolishness". She stopped my...

Epilepsy & Sex [ 10 Answers ]

I heard that some anti-seizure meds can affect one's sex life? (I'm taking lamictal) I heard that epileptic women often have sexual difficulties? Is this true?

View more questions Search