Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Babyface69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Divorce/Anulment
    Hi, I've been married for 7 months. My husband and I(10 yr age difference I'm 37 and he's 27 both met while married to others. We were together three years before we got married. We recently bought a house that is in his name and mine as the co-borrower. I've paid every bill and everything since day one of dating. Now I'm having second thoughts about our marriage, in which I had second thoughts a week prior because of him e-mailing another woman telling her he loved her, but because we were so close to the wedding day and the wedding party and myself had spent a lot of money on the wedding I went ahead with it. I'm doing it all alone because I make more money. He tells me he is not leaving this marriage, not leaving the house (that he cannot make payments on) and he'll take me to court and make me pay. What I want to know is, is there grounds for an anulment or if we have to get a divorce can I be forced to pay alimony? We have no kids together but I have a 15yr old daughter and he has a 3yr old living with her mother. The only property is the house.. I really don't want to leave this house because of my daughter and because we've moved so much already, but if I do leave I can't afford to pay the mortgage here and rent for another place and take care of my daughter. What can I do?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2006, 02:26 PM
    It doesn't sound like you have grounds for annulment. You can always file for divorce. He'll probably fight you tooth-and-nail. After all, it sounds like you're pretty much supporting him and I'm sure he doesn't want to give that up. Legally you both own the house so there's no way you can force him out. If you were to get divorced you'd probably have to sell the house and divide the profit 50-50. And yes, if your income is substantially higher than his and he's been dependent on that during your marriage, then you may have to pay him alimony for a certain number of years after your divorce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2006, 02:36 PM
    I don't see grounds for an annulment ( plus it may not meet your states law anyway)

If you are both working and you were both working at the time of the marriage, I doubt he can get alimony but he can try, that is his right in court to show that he needs to be supported to the life style you have gotten him accustomed to.

And you can't force him out of the house until the divorce judge makes a ruling giving one of you the house,

Since you bought the house jointly, you may have to sell it and split the money.

In no way do you let him keep it with you as the co-signer, since if he don't pay, you will be held resonsible.

You need to get an attorney and sue for divorce and get it started
    binker15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Can a couple get an annulment if they have only been married a few months?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 31, 2006, 06:13 PM
    That was my understanding of how it works, Binker. I know that the rules for a civil annulment differ depending on where you live. It has a time limit so better check it out locally soon. I know because I missed the ability to do that by one day and had to resort to divorce instead. But we also had no items of mutual interest to be ironed out either.
    sorry to hear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 11:43 AM
    You have a tough problem,one you could have avoided had you followed your heart rather that your pride prior to the wedding but enough of that.
    First you my very well have to pay alamony for a very short time... most states ask for 10 years or 1/2 the life of the marriage .The court will look at both your incomes,decide on your ability to earn a living (you as well as he) and go from there.So the longer you remain married the longer you may have to pay him.
    As for the house ask that it be sold... you may take a lose but if you can not afford it on your own and from what I hear you have little or no equity in it this will be for the best.
    Your daughter deserves a home large or small with love in it not the tension she now is seeing,she will recover form another move much faster that watching her mother's pain,talk to her,explain what it going on my guess is that she is far more capable than you are giving her credit for.
    southerngal503 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 07:33 PM
    My husband has been out of the home three months after marriage and I was wondering if I could place a add the paper of the state where he was last known to live and get my divorce that way?I don't know where he lives or how to get a hold of him.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by southerngal503
    my husband has been out of the home three months after marriage and i was wondering if i could place a add in the paper of the state where he was last known to live and get my divorce that way?i don't know where he lives or how to get a hold of him.
    Welcome to AMHD. You have 'piggybacked' your question onto another and have not received any responses. Perhaps an admin will see this and repost for you. Have you spoken with an attorney? What state?
    soking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 07:24 AM
    I just got married on April 8th and 2weeks later she wanted out of the marriage so she filed for a anullment she final got the anullment papers saying that all she need is my signature for the wavier saying that I don't have come to court I don't know what she said to get anullment but I want to wait to a lawyer look over it because I don't want sign my life away

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yes/No to divorce? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband of eleven years told me he wasn't in love with me anymore. We have been separated a little over a year now. He has a girlfriend which he says is not serious. I have filed for divorce but for some reason he does not want to divorce me. He says, "he cares because he calls to see how I...

Cause of Divorce? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. I have a very bad situation on my hands. See, I'm 13 and my parents MIGHT get a divorce because of me. See, I saw my mom doing somwthing that she shouldn't have been doing (making out with a friend of her and my dad's when she was drunk) and I told my dad because I was scared and confused. ...

Divorce-Who does it? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend lives in Iowa, has decided to divorce his wife. They are not contesting anything, want 50/50 with their two daughters and agree on everything. The question is does he have to pay an attorney $2000 to get the divorce or can he get the necissary papers and do it himself for around $300?

Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has filed for divorce and we've been separated since June, 2003. He's not provided any support for me or my three children. I can't afford an attorney. Any free resources available on what I need to do? I've responded to the suit, but he's filed for joint custody and my children do...

Just out of a divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I've been with a truly wonderful man for almost 2 years. When I met him he had more baggage than some airports however I was aware of this. I wouldn't have hung on through all his issues had he not shown me the kind of love women dream of. He and I have a very adult relationship. We got each other...

View more questions Search