Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YanksFan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 06:34 PM
    New ceiling fan hums but wont't turn
    I purchased and installed a new ceiling fan/light. I replaced our old fan because it stopped turning. The new light works fine, but the blades won't turn. I can hear it hum and feel the vibrations in the motor. I replaced the 3 way switches in the wall and I took a volt meter and I'm getting 120V on the power line. But the only thing that works is the light. Any ideas on what is wrong?
    joenz Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 11:09 PM
    If the lighting is working then it should be wired correctly as long as you didn't mix up the + and - (which doesn't even always matter). If you have also tried toggling the fan direction switch after that and it still won't turn I would have to assume it is a faulty motor and you should exchange it.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:16 PM

What make/model is the new fan, what make/model is the old fan? What type of wall switch?

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Hampton Bay ceiling fan hums but doesn't turn [ 11 Answers ]

What would cause the ceiling fan to hum, but not turn the blades? We can manually spin them easily. There are two switches on the wall: one for the light and the other the fan. The light is working fine. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Bathroom exhaust fan hums but blade won't turn [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on my bathroom exhaust fan the motor huns but the blade won't turn. What could the problem be?

Outside unit's fan will not turn, it hums [ 5 Answers ]

I have had the motor checked and it was good, I had the capacitor check and he said the fan side was reading 4 just like a new one, but the condenser side was supposed to read 35, but was only reading 30, I did not know if this was a big enough drop to keep the fan from running. Is there anything...

Kendal Ceiling Fan that hums [ 5 Answers ]

My new supposedly quiet Kendal ceiling fan makes a hum noise in all settings, this is the second one I have tried and the company says it must be something with my electrical. I have a ground wire connected and 120 volts coming to fan, what could be wrong?

The fan on my central ac unit hums and won't turn on [ 1 Answers ]

The fan motor gets very hot to the touch and the fan will not rotate

View more questions Search