Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NoLogicJustLove Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2009, 05:57 PM
    Should I be looking at the mirror LESS or MORE while trying to lose weight?
    What's your opinion?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 06:04 PM
    I vote "more".
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 06:06 PM

More
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 06:24 PM

I vote: Why does it matter?

Instead of relying on a mirror to see if there are any changes why don't you use a measuring tape and record how many inches you are losing.

If you look at the mirror too often you start picking at yourself even more and you may even see yourself "fatter" than you truly are. If you look at yourself less you never learn to accept yourself and who you are.

Just my opinion.

Sarah
    NoLogicJustLove Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks guys!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Too general of a question.

What's your situation? How much weight do you want to lose? Why? Have you cycled through diets before? Recent weight gain? Long term struggle?

What is your diet plan? Your program? Your support?

I'm more interested in fleshing out these things than anything tied to a mirror. No physician would recommend use of a mirror to be the all or nothing gauge of fitness.

So... what's going on? You want to lose weight and/or change your body.

Fine.

Talk more about your past and your goals and your plan.

As for the OP'd question... sure, I haven't struggled with weight a lot, but I have spent a lot of time on body shaping and have also had to deal with some weight gains tied to natural changes in metabolism... in my experience, my clothes are a better gauge of progress than a mirror.

Feeling a pair of pants or shorts get loose or tighter will tell me in a breath what a scale or mirror would tell.

Also... don't know how long you've been doing what you are doing, but I personally am not a very patient person, so I have to force myself to give any new change in exercise or diet about 6-8 weeks before I judge anything. It takes that long for a healthy task to become a desired habit... it takes that long for a new routine to show results I can see in the mirror or in the closet...

Just some thoughts and some questions that might help clarify your goals in more detail.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 07:41 PM
    oh KP... *sigh* - it's a good sigh.

Not lying here. That comment was the best I've had all week. Thank you darlin'.

Off topic, I know.

Don't care.

I dig muddy big time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

How do I lose the weight? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't have enough exess weight to go on a full-on diet, but bathing suit season is coming, and I'm a little worried. I would just like to trim it down to a flat stomach, or at least almost flat. Any advice on how to lose it fast?

I can't lose weight! [ 4 Answers ]

I work out almost everyday for about 60-90minutes, at what I think is a rigorous workout. I eat healthy... but I am not seeing any drop in the scale. I used to weight about 120 and now I weigh 140 after some poor eating habits. But, I believe I have got back to good eating habits but my weight is...

How to lose weight [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 18 imabout 6'2 I weight 320 pounds I want to lose some weight but I don't were to start I work 9 hours a day puttin food in bagges if I can have some help it would be better or help me make a diet plan

Cannot lose weight [ 2 Answers ]

I have been commuting to work and have been riding an average of 105 minutes a day @ a heart rate of 150 bpm for four weeks consistently :mad: and have not changed what I eat . I have not lost a pound. Is this a sign of a thyroid problem? Is this normal? With the online calorie estimators @ my...

View more questions Search