Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnywhiteboots Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 02:26 PM
    401k cash out
    I was laid off from my job in 01-01-09,don't look to go back. My question is, I have a 401k loan balance of 25,000 and a vested balance of 36,000 left. I need to cash out what I have.how much do I loose and what will I have left? Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 05:32 AM

I'm going to assume that you are younger than age 55. If that's not accurate, post back.

First, you should be aware that the $25K loan will be reclassified as withdrawal within 60 days - this is because since you are no longer on the payroll there is no way to withhold your loan repayment amount from your paycheck. So if you do nothing (that is you don't pay the loan back within 60 days), the $25K loan will be treated as income to you, and you will owe ordinary income tax on the amount plus a 10% early withdrawal penalty. Depending on your tax bracket, plus the amount of any state or local income tax where you live, you should plan on paying out anywhere from 30% to 45% of this amount in taxes and penalties by next April.

If you also withdraw the other $36K, you will owe a similar percentage on that as well. Better would be to either leave the $36K where it is, or roll it over to a rollover IRA account - this way you avoid the penalty and continue to defer income taxes (hopefully until retirement) on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Cash out [ 1 Answers ]

My employment will be terminated soon after 25 years. I am 48 and plan to cash out my 401k. I have about $32000 in my account. Can anyone here tell me how much I should expect to walk away with after Taxes and penalties are applied ?

401k cash-out [ 1 Answers ]

A fellow employee was told by company's 401K company (fidelity) That he could not cash out his 401k period. Unless he had a hardship under their Under their guidelines , can they do that? I want to cash mine out, totally. I understand the taxes & penalties. Can they refuse me?

Can I cash out my 401K? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 68 years old and reiting in 6 months. I have a small (6K) 401K and do wish to roll it over to IRA. Shall I be able to cash out without penalty? Thank you

401k cash out [ 2 Answers ]

I am 45, I have a 401k with 41,000 in it from a old job I have a little over 21,000 in credit card debt I am drowing each month I do have other 401ks and other investments of 62,000 is it wise to cash out the 41,000 and pay off credit cards and build wy savings back where it naads to be :confused:

401k Cash Out [ 5 Answers ]

The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least...

View more questions Search