Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandyk51 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Travel out of Country while owing child support
    My son is a convicted felon for drugs. He did his time and is off probation. He has been clean and sober for almost 10 years. We know he can get a passport to go on a family vacation cruise but he thinks because he still owes $6k in back child support they won't let him leave the Country. Is this true? He is paying on it weekly to get it paid off but it won't be paid off before we want to go on the cruise.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 10:11 AM

That could be entirely true. If a judge orders the order to be enforced and the order hasn't been full filled then yes, his tax returns will be intercepted and he won't be able to get a passport. He really needs to look into it with the court that ordered it because if he is paying as he should be he may be able to go. However, as I said until whatever the judge ordered is completed he won't be able to leave. Has he gotten a letter saying that he is up for tax offset? He may not remember it because they are only sent out maybe once a year.

Jun 26, 2009, 10:30 AM

Yes, they do take his tax returns. So I guess until it is paid he can't go anywhere. Thank you for the quick reply.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 26, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyk51 View Post
    My son is a convicted felon for drugs. He did his time and is off probation. He has been clean and sober for almost 10 years. We know he can get a passport to go on a family vacation cruise but he thinks because he still owes $6k in back child support they won't let him leave the Country. Is this true? He is paying on it weekly to get it paid off but it won't be paid off before we want to go on the cruise.
    If they haven't recinded his passport then he should be free to leave. Often states allow the return of things when the payments are being made. The tax intercept is a separate issue. Had they taken his DL for being behind on child support the courts tend to give it back once there is a history of paying on the arrears. You might want to give the state department a call and see what the status of the passport is. If its valid then he can go.. if its recinded then he can not. And kudos to your son for turning his life around.

Jun 28, 2009, 06:23 AM
    Thank you. We will check into that.
    Anthony609 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2009, 12:26 AM
    Yes Anything over 2,000 Dollars and Passport will be declined.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support father left country [ 2 Answers ]

Hello out here My ex husband has left the country he has both a Canadian and Hungarian passport Has anyone had to deal with getting a spouse back into the country to pay support also can anyone give me a good website to report all his info to catch him as a deadbeat dad especially anything in...

Ex died owing $5000 child support. Widow refuses to pay! [ 19 Answers ]

My exhusband died in July 2006 owing $5000 in past-due child support. I had case with Child support enforcement before he died. Tax offset dept withheld his federal refund. Lady from CSE called & told me I would get my money faster if I withdrew my case & let Tax offset mail refund to widow who...

Enforcing child support from foreign country [ 3 Answers ]

In case the father is US citizen, and legally married in foreign country for 5 years. After the divorce, mother got court order for child support, but the father left the country and returned to California. Is it possible to enforce child support order from foreign country? If yes, what is...

How can we file child support if we are on different country? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you help me? I'm looking for the father of my step sister. He was working as a US Navy based in Japan when he got my mom pregnant. They were planning to get married so he fixed his retirement and went to US to process their fiancée visa. We received a call that we need to get him in Philippine...

View more questions Search