Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krosado Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 06:57 AM
    Computer Freezes when I plug in External Hard Drive
    Hi

I have windows XP and use an External Hard Drive to back up my files. Recently I have not be able to use my HD. Every time I plug it in it shows on the right hand side as (new hard ware) however it does NOT open or show when I click on my computer. It only takes a few minutes and computer freezes- I can not do anything!! :confused:

I tried plugging the HD to my sisters laptop and it works just fine.

I don't know much about computer so PLEASE be patient.:o
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 10:15 AM

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup.

What OS?

Jun 26, 2009, 11:14 AM
    To be honest if there were any changes made I may have made them by accident and have no idea what they are.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 12:40 PM

Do you know when the last time it worked properly?

I would suggest to do a system restore back to the date when everything seemed to be working all right.

Steps below are the same for Vista

System Restore
    -Go down till you see
    How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

Jun 26, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Its hard to say when it was working , also we had a virus just recently but I'll try to figure out the time line.

If all fails and I'm unable to determine when it was working- is there any other way to work around this?
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 12:59 PM

First thing to do is try to restore the system back to a date when all was working and go from there

If the exact date of working may not be known, see if you can use system restore back to a date where you would think all was all right, you may have to reinstall some things depending on how far back a system restore is chosen - depends

If system restore is not an option, you can do a Repair Installation

Repair Installation
    A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Would suggest a system restore first then a repair if nec.

I

Jun 29, 2009, 07:39 AM
    Hi Seahwk83

Thank you for your time and patience.

I tried the first option which was the "system restore". It partially worked- what I mean by this is,I followed the steps and did the system retore... I left the hard drive plugged in and re booted. Computer recognized the hard drive and I was able to click on my computer and there it was under the J drive. Funny thing is - if I unplu the hard drive it doesn't show however if I restart while its still plugged in - I have no problems.

My only problem is - I don't get the icon (?) near the time to safely remove. This is also true when I plug in my ipod- I usually get the green icon on the bottom.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 07:53 AM

Follow info here, found same info in a few different places

Safely Remove Hardware: where did the icon go? How do I safely remove hardware without it? - Ask Leo!

Jun 29, 2009, 07:58 AM
    I'll try this when I get home.

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have a simpletech external hard drive, windows 98se, connected to a usb port. The "safely remove hardware" taskbar icon is not showing up any longer. I am afraid to switch of the hard drive.

External hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How do I move my files to the external hard drive

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

What up, I just purchased a new PC and I would like to know if I upload all my music and pictures on the PC, will I be able to transfer all info to an external hard drive if I purchase one months down the road? Appreciate the help and Happy Holidays to all!

Transfer speed from computer to external hard drive [ 44 Answers ]

I just transferred 4GB from a folder on my computer to a USB2 external hard drive and it took 45 minutes! From other transfers, it seems like this is way too long. 1. Is there a "standard" transfer speed that I should expect from a transfer like this? 2. Would doing other things on the...

View more questions Search