Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1lostyankee Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 03:57 AM
    Dry itchy skin on dog's back
    Hi, my terrier mix sporadically over the years gets dry, itchy skin on the lower part of her back and where it meets the tail. It's summer now, with higher humidity, so I don't understand it. This is the only place she's dry and itchy, I don't see any fleas, I have Frontline on her. Anyone have experience with this?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 26, 2009, 09:41 AM

The same thing happens with my lab mix and my collie mix. I was told that it's just because of the heat. It is odd that it's only on the tail and back though.

I'd go in to the vet. We can't give you an accurate diagnosis and it could be something that's easily fixed with just a change of diet or creams.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2009, 04:05 AM

As Alty said the best coarse of action is always the vets.
    Last time she was in did they take any skin scrapings and look for mites?
    Heat can often stress a dog out which makes them more susceptable to things like mange...

If it is at her tail base it could also be (this may sound silly) from her wagging her tail, it could be irritating the skin.
    1lostyankee Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 04:52 AM
    Thank you... it's been awhile, I don't remember what the vet said. I can try putting some dog-safe (and lick-safe) lotion on there. I don't recall how it went away in the past - if I did something or if it went away on its own. I don't think it's diet-related, she eats a combo of Blue and Authority for senior dogs/less fat, all organic. If I touch that area of her back, she tenses up and is very sensitive. Maybe it itches so bad it hurts, I don't know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dry itchy skin [ 5 Answers ]

My dogs are scratching a lot. They have no fleas and I am giving them Salmon oil for dry skin. Is there anything else I can be doing to relieve dry skin?

Itchy skin [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! My dog has one spot that seems a bit itchy. The vet said that she seemed to have a little bit of grass irritation, but that there weren't any signs of anything significant. Is there something over the counter that might help? Hand lotion, hydrocortisone cream, something like that? I...

PM on dog's skin problem [ 1 Answers ]

'''my dog is shaving herself, causing redness, and to top it off my sister has lice. The doc. Says lice can't be transferred from dog to human, or from human to dog. I've tried giving her medicine, soaking her in Cortizone cream, but nothing works. HELP!'' I strongly feel medical problems need...

Itchy red skin on chihuahua [ 3 Answers ]

My chihuahua has a terrible time scratching, she is losing hair , her skin looks red and irritated and has developed some hot "itchy spots she scratches and makes a sore. I have tried changing her brands of food, Any ideas?? :confused:

View more questions Search