Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boblikes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 03:13 AM
    What kind of bug is this?
    Recently, I have been having these little bugs around my house(southern california), and in particular my room in increasing numbers. They are small, about the size of the head of a pin, and such are extremely hard for me to get a clear picture of with the camera I have available. From what I can tell, they are mostly dark brown/black with some a more red color. They have wings, a hard shell, and antennae. Their body is segmented from their head, and they seem to play dead when harassed. They can fly, however I believe they can only fly short distances. I also think they have been what has been biting me while I sleep, and are active mainly from 11pm-4am.
    Here are some pictures I took of one of the bugs, this is the best I can do for now, if needed I will try and get better pictures to help identify what they are...

http://i39.tinypic.com/14uh08o.jpg
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2qa5vmb.jpg

Even a general idea of what they are would be great, thanks.
    boblikes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 03:38 AM
    Here's a better picture...

http://i43.tinypic.com/2qkl1na.jpg
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 26, 2009, 08:42 AM
    It's obviously a beetle of some type. My link to USC is down at the moment so I can't be more specific than that, as my personal knowledge of west coast bugs is somewhat limited.

The good news is that it does not appear to be a parasitic bug such as a bedbug or mite, so it's doubtful that you're being bitten by it.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Jun 26, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Catsmine is right in that your bug is a beetle and it is not a biting insect.

It is hard to tell what species of beetle you have, but it might be a drugstore beetle.
    Drugstore beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can take a sample to your local agricultural commissioner and they should be able to ID the bug.
    youbugme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 08:59 PM
    OK bug man , science expert, your all not getting this. Their was a
    Report today of recall from blair catolog on robes having
    Larva like things in them, sure same for old navy. We have a
    New infestation in are clothing from overseas. Yes white specs, then
    Getting a bit bigger and light brown, oval shape hard ones, then
    Soft ones, which would be the larva stage. Crawling all over me.
    Yes they bite, oh you hardly can see them, but they are not lint.
    In my bed, clothing, furniture, carpet, hair. Makes little knots in clothing, you can hardly wash them out. Washed all clothing in an arrary of products nothing works. This is what I have used to keep them down, tropiclean neem shampoo for dogs all natural and I have bathed in it. Sprayed it all over, washed clothes in it.
    Peroxy hdox high content of peroxide.ultra violet rays. Bug sprays, foggers, powders isn't getten it. Can't sleep feels like sombody put salt in the bed. I have burnt my sofas, about to burn my bed. And ready to leave all and move. I brought them
    Home from work and they are spreading fast. Ultra violit rays
    Kill them but I think it hatches the larva, so here you go again.
    Listerine bath helps, creepy crawlers all over. CDC NOT RECOGNIZING THIS. THIS IS AN INFESTATION AND I CANT
    CLEAN MY HOME ANY BETTER. YES THEY FLY, BUT YOU ONLY CAN SEE THEM IF YOU HAVE GOOD EYES. OH MICROWAVE YOUR CLOTHING, REMEMBER NO METAL. AND BY THE END OF THE DAY YOU CAN PICK THEM OUT OF YOUR CLOTHING.
    I HAVE A MIXTURE OF LICE SHAMPOO, PEROXY HDOX WITH
    YOUR LAUNDRY DETERGENT THAT HELPS. OH WELL EXPERTS
    WHAT ARE THEY, BECAUSE THEY ARE REAL AND IN THE USA?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 02:22 AM
    youbugme, while venting is sometimes necessary, it does not get your questions answered any faster.

Secondly, unless the bugs that are bothering you look similar to the picture posted by boblikes your question deserves a separate topic all its own. Do they?

Lastly, please use proper English. This is an international forum and our non-English speaking readers may have trouble with stream-of-conciousness writing.

No, this doesn't answer your questions. Please ask them again in a more legible form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

WHAT kind of pet? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking for a pet. But I am very picky about them It can't be a dog or cat but something like a cat No animals that carry dangerous diseases I don't want a mouse or anything like that No fish unless it's a starfish or an intersting type I want a pet that bonds with his owner and loves to...

What kind of dog? [ 23 Answers ]

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images20/CaughtLilaStealShoeLabRottie.JPG What kind of dog do you think this is?

What kind of dog? [ 1 Answers ]

Just saw a dog with a golden retriever head but smaller in build. The head and tail had long blond hair but the body had very short curly tan fur. This adult female weighed about 40lbs and had a body unlike a golden... longer legs and slighter in build. It was NOT a goldendoodle. Any idea?

What kind of bug is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed a very small, tiny bug crawling aroung near and around the bottom of my tub and it appears to be coming from a small crack or opening at the bottom of the tile on the wall. It is shaped like a tadpole, or cone. The head is wide and round and narrows as it goes back toward the tail....

View more questions Search