Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meganadams Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 11:54 PM
    Meteorology info needed
    I need help! Please help me answer these questions! Thank you
    Need some info on meteorology questions:

Thanks!

1. Is it possible for upslope fog, orographic rainfall, and wave clouds to form simultaneously on the same mountain range? Elaborate on your answer.

2. An automobile outside on a clear, calm night is observed to have a coating of frost over its hood, roof, and trunk lid. Interestingly, frost is absent along all sides of the vehicle. Why didn’t frost form on the sides of the vehicle?

3. Why is the magnitude of the saturation vapor pressure surrounding supercooled water droplets greater than the magnitude of the saturation vapor pressure surrounding ice crystals at the same temperature?

4. How many calories of heat are required per square centimeter to melt 10 cm of snow at 0°C? Assume the snow density to be 0.1 g/cm3.

5. Is it possible for thunderstorms to form if the lower troposphere is conditionally stable?

6. Two otherwise identical air parcels, the first having a lower water vapor content than the second, are lifted from the same altitude. Which parcel would first experience condensation or deposition of water vapor? Why?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2009, 12:14 AM

I don't know about the other questions, but question 4 is physics.

4. Amount of heat required is given by

Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of the substance (here ice), L is the latent heat of fusion of ice (80 cal/g)

You can have the volume of ice, yes? You have the depth (10 cm) and area (1 cm^2), you can find the volume to be 10 cm^3. With the density, you have the mass. When you have the mass, you use the formula to find the heat.

For no.6 I assume that the volume are kept fix, and that at higher altitudes, the temperature decreases. In the first box, there are less water molecules than in the second. As temperature decreases, the water molecules will slow down. Now, if there are many water molecules, they will be closer to each other and the intermolecular bonds will be more prove to be formed. Thus, the one with more water vapour will condense first.

Hope that helped! :)
    And sorry if I couldn't help you with the other questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Info needed [ 2 Answers ]

I have a print promoted by Camille Lucas NYC. The only identification is Brunet (I think) and 68 / 3. I would like to know more about this print

Arthritis info needed [ 12 Answers ]

Hi! I have put this in the "other health & wellness" section because I really want a broad range of solutions. Here's the deal. After speaking with my mom this morning, she told me that my dad is in constant back pain. Last year he had double knee replacement due to arthritis and has been...

Insurance info needed [ 4 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident aprox 2yrs ago, no police report was made. It was my fault I was driving a company vehicle. An agreement was made between myself and the other driver to get quotes from repair shops and I/company would pay for damages as not to go through the company insurance and...

Info needed on starting up? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to start my own business. I should say cookie business. I am currently a Data Analyst in Rhode Island. I would like to have something for myself and enjoy it. I am not afraid of hard work or long hours and also I realize that I should start from my home and see how it goes. Having...

View more questions Search