Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokofranchitti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 07:11 PM
    Being Sued for unpaid rent when I never signed Lease
    Me and 4 others planned on living in a house near our University. We paid security deposit and landlord said he would email us all a copy of the lease and we would individually sign it and mail it to him along with a check for 1st months rent. Only 2 of us were to move in on the day of the start of the lease. The landlord was to come do a walk through with us and collect both of our leases and checks at the house. He never showed up and never got 2 of the leases. He went on vacation for 2 weeks and left no contact information.

The basement was such a disaster (mold, broken walls, no furnace hooked up, broken windows, water all over the floor from rain) we were advised not to turn on the gas, therefore no hot water. There was no way to contact the landlord to tell him so the 2 of us who did not sign the lease were forced to make other living arrangements. The other people (2 of whom did sign the lease) opted to not live in the house either even though they weren't planning to move in until August.

The landlord is now suing us for unpaid rent. If I never signed the lease, can I really be sued?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 07:45 PM

I would think he would have a hard time.
    Pictures when you moved in would be nice, he may say the damage was done by you?
    Have seen real pieces of crap people with their chump lawyers do some weird stuff.
    With 5 of you, he may experience some problems. Don't let him bully or intimidate you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a tenant withhold rent because of faulty AC without a signed lease! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My son lives in Florida and is renting a condominium. He signed a one-year lease in 2005, however, he continues to reside in this unit since then, with, of course, the landlord's consent, on a month to month basis without having entered into a new lease. He has been having issues with the...

Rent increase with signed lease? [ 5 Answers ]

Living in Tioga county PA. My daughter is about 7 months into her 3 yr lease. She received a visit from her landlord. He stated that she was in violation of her lease. The violations would have to be corrected and her rent is going up $50 a month. She has a signed 3 yr lease that includes the rent...

Being sued for rent not on lease [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my friend's apartment in September 2006 in place of her roommate who was moving out. My name was never on the lease. I paid the previous roommate her half of the security back under the conditions that when myself and the present roommate moved out I would get my security back. It was...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Never signed lease. Behind on rent. [ 6 Answers ]

Never signed lease on current apartment. Current apartment #10 wasn't available when I moved. Landlord gave me smaller apartment #5 (I did sign lease on #5) & I then moved into #10 a month later. (He just handed over keys to #10). Due to a whole different mess, my checks to landlord didn't go...

View more questions Search