Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrstedplank Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Roommate vanishes, not her stuff.
    So I moved out of my old apartment when I got married and left my roommate there to find a new roommate.
    She did, and moved her in in the beginning of May.
    The problem is, the new roommate moved all of her stuff in, didn't pay a single cent, and has now pretty much vanished.
    My old roommate is now paying for this new "mystery" roommate and beginning to rack up quite a total.

My old roommate tells me the new roommate won't return calls texts, emails, Facebook wall posts.
    She's also been friends with this girl for about 5 or 6 years.
    It's now going on almost 2 months and next month's rent will be due again!
    We live in California. Does anyone have any advice on how to move on from here?
    Thanks in advance!

Sue
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2009, 06:09 PM

Did the new roommate sign a lease?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 06:22 PM

Good question Scott and were you released from the lease by the landlord?
    mrstedplank Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 06:30 PM
    When I had lived there with a previous roommate, the lease had run out and we then went on a month to month which had been the system for about the past 2 years up until I handed the place over to my last roommate.

I spoke with the landlord and fully explained that I would no longer be living there and the apartment would become my roommate's completely. I also told the landlord that my roommate had a new roommate moving in.
    From there, I'm not sure if the landlord and roommate got together and signed a new lease.
    I'm sure this should have all been ironed out on a more technical level, but I've become close to the family who rents to me.
    They're a large Eastern European family who treated me like their own.
    It's a 4plex and not much is done by the book.

I just know that my roommate needs someone there to pay half of the rent and the 3rd month is on the horizon.
    Can she move her new roommate's stuff into the garage and sublet the room?

I don't know, I'm just grabbing at possibilities.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 26, 2009, 06:07 AM

Well first, you are not on the hook for anything. You are out of the picture except maybe as an advisor.

Second, I gather she has no known address for the new roomie. In that case, I would send her an e-mail and text, voice mail, etc. And have some witness that this was done. Have the messages state that she has 3 days to pay all she owes or it will be considered that she has vacated the property. In that case, all her belongings will be removed.

If there is room in the garage to store them I would do so, rather than throwing them out.

Her real problem here is that she can't do a proper service of the pay or quit notice. So, if the rommate takes her to court, there might be trouble there. That's why she needs to document all her attempts to notify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate owes me $ but I got his stuff [ 3 Answers ]

Ex roommate has not lived at the house or paid rent for 3 months,at end of 3rd month he gathered his stuff in the house,I told him that I will be keeping his dirt bike, street bike, and welder as collateral he makes no attempt to contact me so I put his stuff in a storage locker. When can I sell...

Roommate will not get his stuff [ 2 Answers ]

My roommate has not been living here for over three months. All of his crap is still in his room. He has never paid rent or any of that stuff and my name is first on the lease. How long does it have to be until I can throw out his things?

Transparent background vanishes off smileys [ 1 Answers ]

I made my own smiley graphics with a program called GIMP. I followed the instructions and they worked. I uploaded them to my Photobucket account and posted them on a forum. They were fine, but the next morning, the transparent backgrounds had gone, so there were black squares round them. The files...

Roommate stole my stuff [ 5 Answers ]

I moved in with my girlfriend (only her name was on the lease), we broke up, she did not come back to the apartment, a couple of months later after I realized she was not coming back I went to the apartment manager and filled out a lease for myself in another apartment, same complex. In the...

When a roommate moves and leave their stuff [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate has moved out, but all of his stuff is still in the apartment. I am the *only* one on the lease. My landlord knew he was their and not legally on the lease. He won't answer my phone calls, and has not called me back. Can I remove his things myself or is this illegal? Is there a time of...

View more questions Search