Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherman99 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Bug identification
    But this bug is crawling around in the dirt, is red with a black geometric pattern on back, looks like a cross between an ant and a beetle, they mate and walk around hooked together a lot. Seem to inhabit same areas as red ants. I am in southern calif in the riverside county area, if that helps. They are about the same size as a common red ant
    Thanks I can't figure out how to upload a picture sorry
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 07:11 PM
    My first thought is the boxelder beetle, but they get larger than you describe.

Image Search Results

Possibly what are called "love bugs"

Image Search Results

Jun 27, 2009, 10:31 AM
    It is bright red, does not appear to be segmented, more flat looking, they hook up rear to rear and walk around like that for a long time, there is maybe one black pattern on the body sometimes 2, this is the first year I have ever seen them and I have lived here 25 years. I looked up boxelder beetle but they are smaller and way brighter red. I am going to try one more time for a usable picture. I have search the internet but so far no luck.
    Thank you

Jun 27, 2009, 10:34 AM

OK, looked up love bugs, not them either by the pictures I saw, there are no visible wings on these red guys here.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Did you try the links I posted? They've got some pretty decent pictures. You said they were about the same size as an ant; by and large adult boxelder beetles run about half an inch long. How big are your common red ants?

Jun 28, 2009, 10:29 AM

I am guessing between 1/4 and 1/2 inch long. I have spent hours looking at beetle pics but the sheer number of species is overwhelming!!
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 05:25 PM
    I'm still inclined toward boxelder beetles. Quite often they maintain the red coloration until full maturity, they can breed before then, and their wings are not really visible until fully mature.

Jun 28, 2009, 08:04 PM

Thank you, I have never seen any pics of immature boxelder beetles
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 02:51 AM
    Try this website. They have some decent photos.

Boxelder and Redshouldered Bugs

Jul 2, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Finally I got a decent pic of them, and even though the color is not the same the pattern is identical, it is the box elder beetle. Thank you so much. I am going to try to attach a pic of them to this so you can see what I mean about the bright red. Well, that did not work, but again, thank you so much. Do you have anywhere I could send the pic to you so you could see, or I could send you my email addy? I don't know how this works exactly
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 02:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherman99 View Post
    do you have anywhere i could send the pic to you so you could see, or i could send you my email addy? i dont know how this works exactly
    If you can save the pic on your computer, there is an attachment icon that looks like a paperclip above the message box. Click on it and a window will open to let you find and attach your pics.

Jul 3, 2009, 10:09 AM
    I have tried several times to do that, it keeps giving me a failure mesg. Thanks anyway for all your help
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Sorry, I know bugs, not computers.

Jul 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
    OK, one more question: is a milkweed bug the same thing? I found pictures that look just like the ones crawling around here, but they were called milkweed bugs. They even had a picture of them doing the stuck together mating thing.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 05:12 PM
    I don't think they're the same species, but they do look like the same genus.

Image Search Results

Jul 13, 2009, 07:09 PM
    Thank you

Aug 3, 2009, 08:06 PM
    'Red bug' makes first American appearance — in O.C. - Green OC - OCRegister.com

This link goes to an article that has perfect pictures of them. Seems to be something new to southern calif. Creepy. How do they get so widespead in one year? I am at least 60 to 70 miles from the coastal sightings.

Should I use pesticide?
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 02:28 AM
    I'd place a call to the scientists in the article. They might come collect them for free.

Aug 4, 2009, 12:17 PM

I mailed them some per their request I guess I am the furthermost sighting of them so far, that has been reported. Thank you for your help
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 03:36 PM
    You might ask them about control measures, as this is an immigrant insect. I would consider a garden dust such as Sevin@ if you have to go to insecticides.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bug identification [ 3 Answers ]

Could you help me identify this bug? There were 2-3 in the common area of my dorm one morning (I suppose they were attracted to the light), so we closed the windows at night. More of them kept appearing and after squatting a good number of them yesterday they seem to have come back (breeding...

Toy Identification [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the name of a toy/bike I had in the early 70's. It was a round shape thing you sat in (low to the ground) and it had two big wheels on either side and you turned handles attached to the wheel to go frontwards, backwards or to spin in circles. Does anyone remember the name...

Identification of Ant [ 1 Answers ]

The Australian ant was purplish-blue, about one inch long and had light blue wings almost as long as its thorax and abdomen. What was it?

PC Identification [ 8 Answers ]

Is it possible to hide or change identity of my hardware from Internet? Thanks

Identification [ 5 Answers ]

Here is a picture of a pump installation of some sort in my basement. The basement is 1/2 underground. There is a pump inside that seems to be stuck running. It has been running consistently for several hours. The house (and I assume) the pump is about 16 years old. Does this appear to be a...

View more questions Search