Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    top of dent Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Heat from a fre
    Most of the heat from a typical fire involving solid fuel is produced by radiation or convection?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 03:04 PM

I don't know, but keep in mind we can't do your homework for you. I don't know if this is a homework question for you or not, but I'm sure many will see it that way.

Maybe you can give us YOUR answer and your reasons, and we can help you work through it?

Jun 25, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Its not homework, just one of those niggling question I should know, but can't decide, I think it's convection
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 03:10 PM

This might help :)

Colchester Center Volunteer Fire Company (CCVFC) - What is Fire?

Jun 25, 2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks,but I didn't really tell which one of the 2 was mostly poduced?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by top of dent View Post
    Most of the heat from a typical fire involving solid fuel is produced by radiation or convection?
    In any fire, almost ALL heat is initially released as photons -- electromagnetic radiation in the infrared or in the visible spectrum. In other words, it's radiation. Some of the radiant heat is absorbed by the air and can, thereafter, be dissipated by convection or conduction. It can also be re-radiated by the air molecule's emitting a photon. If any photons aren't absorbed by air, they'll eventually be absorbed by solid surfaces or radiated into outer space (not much of that will happen).

So, I have a hunch that your question anticipated a different answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unit conversion of specific heat to heat transfer coefficient (U factor) [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the conversion of "Specific Heat"(KJ/Kg/K) to "Overall Heat Transfer Coefficient"(W/m2/K) for the calculation of heat load. Looking forward for the answers. Immediate reply would be appreciated. Thanks, Rupesh

Carrier Hvac heat pump with aux/em heat- NO AUX HEAT [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to install Honeywell 7500d thermostat. I get heat pump heat but no emergency heat although the termostate is calling for it. The installation manual says to see authorized agent if I have a dual 0/b on existing thermostat and another wire is attached to common. As of now, I have ...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Hunter 44155C Wiring - A/C turns on during heat cycle or heat will not shut off [ 0 Answers ]

Trying this again with the correct thermostat specs. Sorry, guys! It's a Hunter 44155C and the wires I have going into it are: White - W/B Red - Rh Green - G Yellow - Y1 Jumper from Rh-Rc

View more questions Search