Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolmixon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Change name on deed due to death
    My father recently passed away. The deed reads my father or my mother. My mother wants to change it to just her name - we have death certificate. Do we do this with the property appraiser's office or clerk of court?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 02:23 PM

If your father has passed away, what difference would it make if her name is the only one on there, or not?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 25, 2009, 02:41 PM

I think you will want to consult an attorney as this is a matter of probate. Since he has died, there is a process that you will have to follow based on what he has written in his will. Doing anything different could be punishable by the law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2009, 05:26 PM

You need to know the EXACT wording on the deed. That will determine what is necessary to change the deed.
    carolmixon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You need to know the EXACT wording on the deed. That will determine what is necessary to change the deed.
    Deed reads father's name OR mom's name.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 26, 2009, 02:22 PM

That's all? Just John Doe OR Jane Doe? I've never seen a deed so simple.

But if that's the case there is no need to change it, since all she needs to do is produce a death certificate when she gets ready to sell. But if she wants to change it, go to the Register of Deeds. That is generally a part of the county clerk's office, but each jurisidiction is different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do after the death of a spouse when both are listed on the deed? [ 12 Answers ]

I am researching this information for my grandmother. Just recently my grandfater passed away and we are trying to take care of all the loose ends. We need to know what needs to be done with the deed on the house. Both of there names are listed on the deed. Do we need to have his name removed from...

Transfer on Death Deed. [ 7 Answers ]

Where can I get a Wisconsin Transfer on Death Deed? Thanks, Larry

Suviorship Deed or Transfer Upon Death [ 4 Answers ]

My friend and I are both on the deed of our house, she has recently gotten married. We want to have a deed drawn up so that if one of us dies that person's half goes to the other, free and clear. Which we both have agreed then will pass on to her son,at the time that person dies. We realize this...

Death Deed of Trust vs Loan [ 1 Answers ]

My Husband passed away Both him and I are on the Deed of Trust however, he is the only one on the Loan. The Mortgage Company will not speak to me unless I have a Letter of Administartion (which I'm uptaining through an estate attorney/public Admin). What I want to do is Default on the Loan and Buy...

Transfer on death deed [ 8 Answers ]

My grandmother has a house (no liens, no mortgage) that she wants to deed to me upon her death. How do we go about handling this? What paperwork do we have to fill out?

View more questions Search