Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsauerbrey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Heat pump cooling off
    The air conditioning function of our heat pump is not working. The outside compressor is on, but the fan on top is not turning. Do I turn the whole system off? Is the problem in the compressor. The thermostat is set for 73 but the temperature is 84.

Bob Sauerbrey
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 11:46 AM
    The outside compressor is on, but the fan on top is not turning

Sounds like the condenser fan motor or capacitor is the problem. Turn off the unit until repairs are made.
    bsauerbrey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    The outside compressor is on, but the fan on top is not turning

Sounds like the condenser fan motor or capacitor is the problem. Turn off the unit until repairs are made.
    OK. The unit is off. So this is above my talent and pay level, right? I've called a HVAC expert.

Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 12:47 PM
    So this is above my talent and pay level, right?

Sorry to say but it could be. You know your capability's. Hopefully it will be a reasonable repair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump is cooling but not heating [ 5 Answers ]

I've noticed since winter has started my heat pump is not acting correctly. I have troubleshot the problem and cooling is indeed working fine. Although, when you switch to heating, the outside unit engages but the temperature at the register never rises above room temp. When you set it on...

Heat pump not cooling as well [ 2 Answers ]

We have a heat pump and replaced it 4-5 years ago when our old one died. Our home is well insulated and we keep it closed up during warm-hot weather. About a week ago it got very hot again, but not as hot as it's been earlier this year. We have cool air coming out of the vents with a normal force,...

Heat pump not cooling well [ 8 Answers ]

We have a heat-pump and had to have a new capacitor installed about 2 months ago, because the outside fan would not run. It's been working great ever since until yesterday. I noticed the tempature has elevated and the air flow seems good. I replace filter monthly, and put a new one in again. The...

Bryant Heat Pump not cooling [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed the other night that my 14 yr old Bryant heat pump was not cooling when I got home. The fan on the unit was not spinning, but I could hear the unit making a buzz. When I used a stick reach the fan to rotate it, it actually spun up to running speed, but never did cool the air in the...

Carrier heat pump not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Our Carrier heat pump is not cooling our house. This is the first time it has been on for cooling this year. The system is running outside and the system inside is running and cool to the touch, but nothing is coming out the vents. It sounds like the fan is running. The thermostat is set for 72...

View more questions Search