Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LoriW24391310 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Hold Rent
    In Virginia, can a tenant hold rent because landlord failed to make repairs to premises?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 11:11 AM

Hello. I'm sorry your dealing with this.

I found this for you.

Virginia Residential Landlord-Tenant Law Law Summary and Law Digest

Typical tenant remedies for breach by landlord.

If landlord breaches his obligations to maintain the premises, tenant normally has several options. First, tenant must usually give landlord a written notice with a deadline in which to repair the problem, the deadline being prescribed by law and varying from shorter to longer depending on the severity and impact of the problem. If landlord fails to act, tenant may either terminate the lease, have the damages repaired by outside contractors or by tenant himself and deduct the cost of repairs from the next month's rent, or withhold rent until landlord repairs the damage. If a landlord fails to provide possession of the premises, tenant may find other lodgings and sue the landlord for the difference in monthly cost, providing tenant mitigates damages. If a landlord wrongfully evicts tenant, the tenant's option is normally to fight the eviction in court and sue landlord for damages
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 11:15 AM

Hello L:

If you can, it's not that cut and dried.. I believe we have a copy of Va landlord/tenant laws - whatever there are of them. I don't recall them being complete and concise like other states are. Nonetheless, we have a copy here at the top of the real estate page for your perusal.

In GENERAL, you're not really allowed to withhold rent. You'd instead, be allowed to fix the problem and deduct it from the rent. That would only occur after written notice has been given on several occasions and the landlord refuses to fix it.

Other states, those primarily on the east coast DO allow a tenant to withhold rent - or at least to deposit into an escrow account... NONE of the above happens WITHOUT plenty of written communications.

As you can see, remedies vary. Go read the laws of your state. If you need further help, ask here again.

excon

Jun 26, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    hello. im sorry your dealing with this.

i found this for you.

Virginia Residential Landlord-Tenant Law Law Summary and Law Digest

Typical tenant remedies for breach by landlord.

If landlord breaches his obligations to maintain the premises, tenant normally has several options. First, tenant must usually give landlord a written notice with a deadline in which to repair the problem, the deadline being prescribed by law and varying from shorter to longer depending on the severity and impact of the problem. If landlord fails to act, tenant may either terminate the lease, have the damages repaired by outside contractors or by tenant himself and deduct the cost of repairs from the next month's rent, or withhold rent until landlord repairs the damage. If a landlord fails to provide possession of the premises, tenant may find other lodgings and sue the landlord for the difference in monthly cost, providing tenant mitigates damages. If a landlord wrongfully evicts tenant, the tenant's option is normally to fight the eviction in court and sue landlord for damages
    Thanks for the response. Court date is July 9

Jun 26, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello L:

If you can, it's not that cut and dried.. I believe we have a copy of Va landlord/tenant laws - whatever there are of them. I don't recall them being complete and concise like other states are. Nonetheless, we have a copy here at the top of the real estate page for your perusal.

In GENERAL, you're not really allowed to withhold rent. You'd instead, be allowed to fix the problem and deduct it from the rent. That would only occur after written notice has been given on several occasions and the landlord refuses to fix it.

Other states, those primarily on the east coast DO allow a tenant to withhold rent - or at least to deposit into an escrow account.... NONE of the above happens WITHOUT plenty of written communications.

As you can see, remedies vary. Go read the laws of your state. If you need further help, ask here again.

excon
    Thanks for the response. Landlord has submitted default to the court. Court Date July 9

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Chromotherm III thermostat reads Hold AC and will not Hold Heat--reverts back to Hold AC when run program is pushed.

Eviction for Non Payment of Rent after determination of rent hearing [ 2 Answers ]

A Eviction for Non Payment of Rent is in process and a determination of rent hearing has already been heard in the State of Florida. The Judge order the tenants to pay rent due within 24 hours. If tenants pay the court ordered amount, how much longer do the tenants get to stay in the house?

Injured on property where I rent, my rent is now behind and my lease is expired. [ 9 Answers ]

This is a slightly complicated situation. I live in the state of MO. About 5 months ago I was injured on the property due to the negligence of my landlord and the conditions of the building I live in. The landlord dug a hole in the front yard deeper than I am tall and the steps in the back have no...

Can you with hold rent if the landlord does not do repairs [ 4 Answers ]

We have been on to the landord to do our plumbing for 6n months as we cannot use the bath or shower and now the toilet is leaking are we allowed to with hold the rent

Can I hold rent [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, my husband and I have been renting our apartment for over 3 years. Last feb or march I had brouht to my landlord that my bathroom ceiling was leaking. We were told that we have to wait for the snow to melt. Then came June, was then told that someone would be around to look at it.(never saw...

View more questions Search