Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kagan88 Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Jun 25, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Any Ideas On How I Can Start To Control My Weight
    I'm 20 years old 6' 0'' and I weigh around 247... Because of my height I don't look as if I weigh as much as I do somehow it spreads well throughout my body but it is finally starting to become a health hazard for me... About 3 years ago I was at 150 to 155lbs and very athletic and in shape over those years between stress, school, depression, and doctors giving me a steroid for my acne I gained weight... In the first 3 months of taking the steroid I went from 155 to 175. When my family realized what I was taking I was quickly taken off it but not without maxing out at 185 and ever since then my weight has been a real issue and was still gained after the steroid all the way up to what I'm at now... My metabolism was destroyed and so was any energy I previously had to workout.

Now 3 years later I have found out that I have developed diabetes, POS, and now have high testaturone levels... My health is falling apart and I feel it would be so much better if I could get it under control.

Can anyone give me any ideas or tips on what I could do to get my weight and health back under control? Any advice or help would be grateful.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 10:01 AM

That's the funny thing about weight... it kills your metabolism and energy levels. That makes it hard to do what you need to do to lose weight... exercise and eat properly.

Bottom line is that you need to exercise. It might be a huge chore at first... finding the energy to exercise. But the more you exercise, the more energy you will have.

I know how it is... I have had 50-70 pound weight swings too. Its so hard to get started... but once you are, it gets so much easier.

So basically my advice is to suck it up and push through those first workouts. Its for the better good and will only last a little while.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 10:32 AM

Hello. I'm in the same boat as you are hon. And I wish you luck in this...

The depression, and any meds you were on during the depression (or are currently on) is a big factor in this. I have yet to find a mood stabilizer that does not do SOMEHING to your weight, be it make you gain, lose, or destroy your metabolism.

You weigh the same as I do, and though I'm shorter than you, I have to warn you that exercise is going to be difficult because of the weight. I would start with healthy eating, NOT a 'diet' program, simply REDUCE carbs (dont cut them completely out) and make sure you eat lots of greens, as they are filling, with few calories.
    And start going on walks EVERY DAY/NIGHT. Starting with walking will help get your muscles and your heart slowly adjusted. Then as time goes on you can increase the speed of your walk as you feel comfratable.

Swimming is an excellent weight loss program, as is dance classes. I wouldn't suggest any aerobics, unless you can find one specifically adjusted to overweight women. As some of the standard aerobics classes/dvds can be very rigorous and cause breathing problems with someone as overweight as you and I are.

Good luck hon.

Jun 25, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    hello. im in the same boat as you are hon. and i wish you luck in this...

the depression, and any meds you were on during the depression (or are currently on) is a big factor in this. i have yet to find a mood stabilizer that does not do SOMEHING to your weight, be it make you gain, lose, or destroy your metabolism.

you weigh the same as i do, and though im shorter than you, i have to warn you that exersize is going to be difficult because of the weight. i would start with healthy eating, NOT a 'diet' program, simply REDUCE carbs (dont cut them completly out) and make sure you eat lots of greens, as they are filling, with few calories.
    and start going on walks EVERY DAY/NIGHT. starting with walking will help get your muscles and your heart slowly adjusted. then as time goes on you can increase the speed of your walk as you feel comfratable.

swimming is an excellent weight loss program, as is dance classes. i wouldnt suggest any aerobics, unless you can find one specifically adjusted to overweight women. as some of the standard aerobics classes/dvds can be very rigorous and cause breathing problems with someone as overweight as you and i are.

good luck hon.
    Thank you to everyone for you help and advice... Last time I went to the doctor she walked in and was surprised at the weight she saw on the paper but my physical appearance didn't really match up... Yes I am overweight I know this and so does family and friends but I look more muscle than fat... Which is hard to because I am uncomfortable being categorized as a "man" highly annoying... It is super easy for me to lose 20 lbs really fast but after that I can't lose anything at all...
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 11:03 AM

OOH well then :) disregaurd my post about excersise. If you can do it, go for it :)
    cleaner12002 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2009, 11:09 AM

1,500 calories per day max - Don't eat after 5:00PM - Exercise equivalent of 1 hour per day of walking - you'll drop 1.5 - 2.5 lbs per week.

Jun 25, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    OOH well then :) disregaurd my post about excersise. if you can do it, go for it :)
    Oh no exercise is much needed... it seems impossible though after I lose those first 10-20 lbs... Now with all my known medical conditions it is now even worse. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Ideas to Lose Weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I'm 34, 5'6", female, about 205 lbs. I would like to be 120 lbs. What type of exercises should I do that I can do at home? I'm scared of the outdoors because it's not so safe where I live and I can't afford to join a gym right now. Lately, I've been watching and doing...

My friend's out of control. I'm out of ideas on how to get through to her. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. So I have this friend, I have lived next to her all my life, but when I went away for school we kind of lost touch. I'm in university now, and she's just finishing up her last year of high school. She's always been a great student, not a big partier, she's never had a boyfriend, and still...

Any ideas how to put weight on in a healthy way [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I weigh 53kg and I'm about 165 cm tall I recently had a baby well 6 months ago and seem to be losing weight I have tried to eat all day to put weight on but for some reason it keeps coming off I'm not breastfeeding either please help I'm really concerned about my weight.

Any ideas on how to lose weight! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I'm 15. Winter is coming up and I was always told that's a great time to exercise outside since it makes your body work more, moving on. I weigh roughly 190 and I want to lose 50lbs if not 70lbs. I don't hate the way I look I just want to look better. So does anyone know of any good sites,...

Weight loss ideas for football son [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 10 and is above the weight limit for his squad by about 5 pounds. He is a stocky boy and has a lot of energy. We think that most is muscle but the coaches want him to be in the right weight limit to play. How do I help him? His next game is 9/18. Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search