Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13ecca Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Lifting weights
    Hi guys.
    I am currently trying to loose weight and I though that maybe doing some weights a few times a week would help me.
    I can't afford to join a gym but we do have some weights at home.
    What I'd like to know is what weight to start lifting, what exercises to do with them and when to increase the weight.
    I have never done weights before so I would like to make sure that everything I do is safe :)
    Thanks guys all advice is appreciated.
    X
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 01:26 PM

Start with bodyweight exercises like squat, press-up, step-up, pull-up, dips, star jumps. Add things like deadlifts (where you pick up a weight from the floor and stand up, keeping your head up and back straight), stiffleg deadlifts, shoulder press, tricep kickbacks, dumbbell rows, curls, wood chopper etc.

Make sure you are doing the exercise right. Exrx.net is great website to show you how to do each exercise. When you are confident you have your form right, increase the weight until you have to struggle to finish ten reps. When you can do ten easily, increase the weight again.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 01:41 PM

Remember that if you are tryign to LOSE weight, lifting weights may not help, as you will build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so while you will tone out and gain some shape and maybe drop some inches, you may not lose any WEIGHT

Jun 26, 2009, 01:54 AM

Thanks for the advice :)
    Sorry I should have been more specific in my question.
    I am trying to loose weight but I am not going off the scales I am using inches to measure my body, so any weight loss for other exercises and healthy eating or tonning from exercising is great :)
    Thanks again.
    MoodsterMan Posts: 38, Reputation: 5
    -

Jun 26, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ecca View Post
    Hi guys.
    I am currently trying to loose weight and I though that maybe doing some weights a few times a week would help me.
    I can't afford to join a gym but we do have some weights at home.
    What I'd like to know is what weight to start off lifting, what exercises to do with them and when to increase the weight.
    I have never done weights before so I would like to make sure that everything I do is safe :)
    Thanks guys all advice is appreciated.
    x
    First off,

Are you trying to lose weight, like for sports or to be lighter? Or are you trying to lose fat? Are you a female or male and how old are you? What is your previous history with weights, do you have injuries? What is your weight? Etc.. I need to know all this stuff to make sure I can accurately give you good AND safe information.

If you are trying to lose fat then perhaps you should look at your diet, your diet is just if not more important then physical activity. You need to make sure you are in taking the right foods and amount. I would suggest doing cardiovascular activity like running, biking, swimming etc.. This is a better way to slim down. Weight lifting is good for toning and can be a good cardiovascular activity BUT it is not as good as running.

If your main goal is to tone then you should be lifting 65% of your max weight (most weight you can lift once). You should be lifting this weight in high repetitions (i.e 15+ reps). For example;

Lets say your goal is to tone your biceps and your 1 LIFT MAX is 30 pounds, you should be lifting 65% so 30 x .65 = 19.5 or 20 pounds. You should do biceps curls with this weight. Try for 20 repetitions, take a 45-60 second break, then try for 18 repetitions, take a 45-60 second break, then try for 16 repetitions, take a break then go for as many as possible. Make sure you have good form (not swinging, back straight etc.. ).

The internet is FULL of resources, look at you tube, bodybuilding sites, weight watchers etc..

Good Luck :D

Jun 26, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoodsterMan View Post
    First off,

Are you trying to lose weight, like for sports or to be lighter? Or are you trying to lose fat? Are you a female or male and how old are you? What is your previous history with weights, do you have injuries? What is your weight? Etc.. I need to know all this stuff to make sure I can accurately give you good AND safe information.

I am trying to lose weight to be lighter and I am also trying to loose some body fat.
    I am female and 17 years old.
    I have never used weights in my life before, however I am a farm girl and have done a lot of lifting with hay etc. The biggest injury I had was when I fractured my right wrist at 5.
    I am enquiring about weights because I also want to tone up after losing weight, plus I heard is can speed up your metabolism, is that true?

Err I thin that's all :)
    Thanks for the help.
    MoodsterMan Posts: 38, Reputation: 5
    -

Jun 26, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ecca View Post
    I am trying to lose weight to be lighter and I am also trying to loose some body fat.
    I am female and 17 years old.
    I have never used weights in my life before, however i am a farm girl and have done alot of lifting with hay ect. The biggest injury I had was when I fractured my right wrist at 5.
    I am enquiring about weights because i also want to tone up after loosing weight, plus i heard is can speed up your metabolism, is that true?

Err I thin thats all :)
    Thanks for the help.
    No weight lifting does not help speed up the metabolism, diet helps speed up the metabolism. At your age you should be eating 6 meals of small squared meals spaced 2 hours apart. Eating more of less will help increase your metabolism which will benefit weight loss gradually. I would also recommend drinking more water, perhaps green tea and try eating high fiber foods.

I would suggest you lose whatever weight you are attempting for first and then worry about toning. Toning can be a slow process and it will be discouraging if your body fat is too high to begin with (you won't see results for a while).

Would you mind telling me how much you weigh and your height? At 17 you really shouldn't be pressuring yourself to fit in size 0 dress's. I encourage you to eat healthy and stay active but don't jump on a treadmill cause you don't feel beautiful sweet heart.

All in All (wrapped up);

1. Eat more of less (healthy meals spaced 2 hours apart)
    2. Drink lots of water, green tea and eat high fiber (also stay away from high fatty foods.. especially saturated fats).
    3. Do cardiovascular exercises like running and when you have your goal weight or close to it then look at toning/ weight lifting.

Jun 27, 2009, 02:32 AM

I've already started drinking more water and I am eating small portions every 3 hours ot so, so I am heading on the right track.
    I am 5ft 10" tall and 189lbs.
    I have a medium frame, so there was no way I was even hoping to get down to a size 0! I'd just like to be healthier and maybe drop 2 dress sizes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to train biceps and triceps with out lifting weights? [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to work my arms and I don't have weights at home. Is there any good way to work out with out them? Ive been doing pushups every night from 20-30 but it doesn't seem to be getting better..

Lifting Weights [ 4 Answers ]

I've been lifting weights at my gym about 3x a week since Oct '07. I've seen a significant increase in muscle mass and strength. Is there anything natural I can do increase my work out's effectivness or grow more quickly?

Good weight lifting workout with limited weights [ 1 Answers ]

I purchassed a rather simple homegym from walmart,and I have basically outgrown the equipment.the main problem is it only has a hundred pounds of weight.I can do every arm ,leg,and other exercises far to many reps to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish which is gain bigger muscles bigger body...

Lifting weights the right way [ 1 Answers ]

Im doing this workout pln that I got off the internet where you a part of your body muscles hard in then the next day you work on another part while letting the previous muscle get the day rest.and I continue in that pattern.my question is I haven't worked out and several months.so should I start...

View more questions Search