Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rayne3rr0r Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Bolens Lawn tractor won't run right
    I have a bolens lawn tractor with a b&s motor in it but when I go to start it, it will turn over but will get stuck then I have to turn it by hand and then crank it again and then it will start running but runs really rough and louder then normal and then I checked the air filter and there was oil on and in the carb and it smokes like crazy any ideas

UPDATE: when I took the spark plug out it span freely without and problems
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 08:58 PM

Hi,
    Air filter needs to be replaced, but you need to find where th oil came from first so as not to ruin another filter.
    Got model number from the engine?
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 2, 2009, 12:53 PM

OK I replaced the air filter and still nothing and the oil is no longer getting into the carb

Jul 2, 2009, 01:05 PM

Hi,
    Have you checked the oil level and "whiffed" the dipstick to make sure it does not smell of gas? If I smells of gas; change the oil.
    Try pulling the plug and using the starter to spin it over to see if oil blows out of the cylinder. Oil does not compress!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 2, 2009, 02:08 PM

Oil smells fine and the level is perfect

Jul 2, 2009, 03:06 PM

Hi,
    Try to try the valve adjustment route if it is OHV. This is not a link I found and I do not do it exactly as described in it, but it is functionally correct and gets to the same place I would arrive at by a different means.
    YouTube - Lawn Mower Repair Valve Adjustment
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD lawn tractor won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Ive got a16.5 horse OHV MTD yard machine that won't start. I get no fire to the engine and have checked the battery (its good). I could get it to start before by wiggling the wire harness attached to the ignition but now, nothing. Don't know if it's a bad solenoid or what. I have already replaced...

Lawn tractor won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ranch king riding mower. It won't start. Had starter checked. It is OK. How is wiring run from battery to starter to bypass all the safety switches? Is it negative to ground and positive to starter with maybe a toggle switch to break the current to starter?

Old lawn tractor won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Last year I bought an old Wizard riding lawn mower. Its got 12hp, 465 cc, and 38 inch cut. It ran great until, I was mowing, hit a rock, and the mowing stopped there. The battery went dead, so Ive replaced that. Still nothing. Where should I start, to get it to start?

View more questions Search