Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elousia Posts: 86, Reputation: 6

Jun 24, 2009, 02:48 PM
    I'm 28 now and I lost my first love 6 months ago now, why is it so hard
    Why is it so hard to get over a first love?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 02:53 PM
    All break-ups are hard. Each one will be harder than the last because the last one won't be fresh in your mind anymore. Time does have it's amnesia like effects are far as pain is concerned.

The only thing I think that can make a break up easier, is understanding why the relationship would never have worked out and willing to accept the best scenerio as opposed to continuing in dysfunction.

Jun 24, 2009, 02:58 PM

I was 23 when I met her and she was 19... we were together for 4 years and lived together for the most part that whole time.

Jun 24, 2009, 02:59 PM
    I heard the opposite justfair... im wrong?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 03:31 PM

It is hard when you make it hard. The first step is to accept it is over follow by letting go.

I know sometimes your mind plays tricks on you because it remember the good times instead of the bad. You have to reprogram your mind and when thoughts of your ex comes to mind immediately think of something else.

Think of your mind as a TV and you hold the remote. Now when your watching TV don't you change the channel whenever something comes on that you don't like? You can do mentally do this with your mind.

Next is if you haven't receive closure yet then maybe you should write a letter expressing your thoughts to your ex and then burn it. Write drafts if you have to and once the letter is complete read it out loud as if your ex were in the room. This is a letting go ritual.

Get out and stay busy. Join a gym, hand out with friends, volunteer somewhere, etc, etc. Staying busy always keeps your mind occupied.

If you have anything that belonged to your ex it should be boxed up my do.

Break-ups are tough and there is no magic pill or portion to else the pain but you will survive. What doesn't kill you does make you stronger. Take it day by day and each day you will stronger. Healing starts with you and I know you have the strength to do it.

Jun 24, 2009, 04:19 PM

Liz, do you think even after six months of crying and calling and filling myself with the poison that I can get through this?

Jun 24, 2009, 04:21 PM
    I haven't gone ten days without calling her work and leaving a message...

Jun 24, 2009, 04:22 PM
    I let her use me as friends with benefits even though she knew that it would most likely open up a can of worms as she put it, and then let her tell me that she has been with somebody for over a month now and how he is better, she said do you want me to be mean? I said no, but she went about it as I let her and said all mean things you can say to somebody u know helped you and loved you when no one else did...
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 04:34 PM

You not going be able to move on if your still haven't contact her.

You fill your body with poison? What your talking about? Alcohol?

Trying to drink your problems away won't help nor make it go away because once you sober up the pain is still there. You have to face and learn from your mistake.

She said mean things to you because you knew it would get to you and right now your letting her win. She is out enjoying her life while your down and stuck.

You can break free from the funk your in with a lot of willpower. Once you start thinking you can your be surprise with your process. So it starts with you.

It is time for you to start living again and to start back enjoying life but life goes on.

Jun 24, 2009, 04:40 PM

Liz, thanks for both your messages, you really have a good way with words,

The poison I have been talking about is the contacting her and letting her come and go as she has pleased. Even any thought in relation is the poison I'm talking about... just a metaphor but a real metaphor cause it is poison...
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 05:49 AM

Everyone goes through this, and I would tend to agree that the first is always the hardest, as you have never dealt with it before and you literally do not know that you will get through this... but you WILL!

Self value goes a long way. You need to learn that. You have hit rock bottom, now quit digging even further and start to climb your way out of this funk that you are in. She is dead to you... and I mean dead to you. Change your number, get rid of anything that reminds you of her, whatever.

Bottom line, everything starts with you. There are baby steps you will have to take to get over this, and you have been in the grieving stage way too long... time to get off your a$$ and start rebuilding a better you, and a much better life for yourself. The self pity train only takes you so far before the ride is over and only YOU are to blame. Get up and start living... I promise you it will get better.
    Arzy99 Posts: 67, Reputation: 17

Jun 25, 2009, 06:09 AM

Once again, textbook answer from KC... I know EXACTLY what you are feeling. You will spend weeks, even months replaying the whole relationship and breakup in your head, you will have sleepless nights and times where you just cry your eyes out. BUT.. the sooner you realise how much you are actually worth - things change, and boy do they change!.
    Take EVERY opportunity you get to build yourself as a person, improve yourself in any way possible - volunteer, become more healthy, take up a new hobby etc... nobody is more important than you... from what I have experienced that is the most important thing. I was dumped for another guy, I went NC - I realised I deserved better.. I realised I'm worth more than that.. I'm improving myself... I feel great!
    Give it a try!
    dreamingartist Posts: 104, Reputation: 54

Jun 25, 2009, 07:17 AM
    you have to decide if you want to let go or not. She has already decided she wants to let go. So now you are ready to move on, but you can't until you actually MOVE on.

Ending the relationship is like this analogy:

your heart is like a snowball.
    The Mountain is like Time.

Your heart rollss down the mountain of time like a snowball and it gets bigger and bigger and bigger. You want the biggest snowball you can have because it's the strongest, has the most momentum, and can knock over anything that gets in its way... The second you talk to her, the snowball melts and you have to start all over with a little snowball and let it roll down and get bigger and bigger. Time also starts over, because you have to go back to the beginning of the mountain and restart the process.

The longer you let the snowball roll down the hill the stronger it becomes.. the more time you give your heart the stronger and bigger it becomes. You aren't even letting your heart heal for 1 second.. you call her, check her Facebook or text her, or etc etc... no wonder you are a mess! You will never meet a new girl if you are in the dumps... no one wants to be with someone who is sad all the time and fixated on the X. The sooner you can break free, the sooner you can move on, the sooner you can be happy.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 09:59 AM

Start with stopping all contact, (I already know, EASIER SAID, THAN DONE) as it takes time to break an attachment that deep. And be patient with yourself, as this may be a long hard process, (IT SUCKS, BIG TIME)and you will have to be proactive in the way you plan your life without him.

Read the stickies at the beginning of this forum, for some really good ideas to help you thru this difficult time.

There is a link in my signature. Your not alone, we all here have gone through the same thing as you are now.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Did you say you were friends with benefits? No wonder you can't move on. You still have her there in body but mentally she wants out. How is that fair to you? Have more respect for yourself then that and move on. Make NC and keep with it. Especially since she felt the need to hurt you and tell you she moved on. Were you still "benefitting" while she was with this other person?
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 10:10 AM

You can't move on until you cut the person off from your life. A friend with benefits agreement is only going to keep your grasping at that false hope straw longer.
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Jun 25, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Friend, listen to these folks here. Just let her go. And especially when she is seeing someone else. I know it sucks, and sucks BIG TIME. There is no pill to suck that suck. Only thing would work is to pray to God to give you strength to pass through this time victoriously. Trust me, time would heal. When you wake up in the morning, look outside the window, look at the rising sun, feel the morning breeze, listen to the birds chirping and thank God for showing you a new day. And think that the day of your breakup is pushed behind by another day. The gap between you and painful day has widened. And one day it would be left so behind that you won't feel hurt anymore.

Right now, I am going through the same situation as yours . Even I called her back. I had dinner at her place after the breakup, but the charm of talking and eating together, which was always there, was missing. That reminded me of a saying in my language which means "Do not snap the delicate thread of love, you can not attached the snapped fibres, back together. Even if you bring both pieces together, there would be a knot in between". God bless the man who started this forum. Had I not visited these threads, I would had not made any effort to gather myself and built-up my self-esteem. I would had not thanked Lord God for all the blessings HE showers on me everyday.

Have you heard the saying, "If you love someone set them free... ". Check the link and see which one fits for you. brokenheartvn - if you love someone - set them free!. I know letting a person go is not easy. But we do not die with a dying person. It is easier said than done. But it is you and only you who has to put bandage on your wounds. Nobody can do that for you. This is life my friend. And if life were a bed of roses, we would not had learnt anything and never ever grown up.

Jun 27, 2009, 07:56 AM

Thanks for all the help, ty

Jul 7, 2009, 07:00 PM

I just am disappointed in myself that I let so much crap happen in the five months that she left me. I mean, crying and calling for 6 months?? Im so disappointed in myself, I don't believe I could have been so awful, I had so many chances to say NO, u left me now u deal with it, instead I slept with her, and a month later slept with her, and then a month and a half later slept with her again, just so she could meet the guy she is with now 3 days later.

I just want to know if I will be okay having messed up so badly these 6 months... I really can't believe how hung up on her I have been, all in the meanwhile she has been moving on with no intentions of getting back together.
    inertia Posts: 308, Reputation: 60

Jul 7, 2009, 07:50 PM

I'm going to make a couple of points and maybe they will resonate with you.

1) I think guys get fooled by the "friends with benefits" stage a bit more than girls do. It's not beyond common sense to assume all guys like to have sex and most guys don't "need" the emotional attachment. However aside from "Sex and the City" fans, girls tend to only be physical when they're emotionally interested (especially the girls we have been in a relationship with). Us guys tend to think; "well if she's sleeping with me then obviously there is still love there." Sadly, this isn't true. Horny girls love ex boyfriends (safe, # of partners stay the same and comfortable). When Mr. New Guy shows up the girl can say "the last person I slept with was my ex and we broke up 5 months ago". Pretty tricky isn't it? Broad strokes, I know, but definitely accurate for a lot of girls. My point is, don't beat yourself up over this. Just about everybody falls for the friends thing once. That's why, even if it's a sincere offer, I will not be friends with exes post break up. Guess what? Staying friends or not staying friends is usually irrelevant to reconciling. The star can either explode or slowly lose it's energy; either way it dies.

2) Even though you regret taking your time accepting the break up, don't. You gave it your all man. When you do finally move on, you won't be saying "maybe if I showed her I cared more". The one who tried is not the one who regrets. I'm not advocating "never give up". Nothing you could have done after the break up would have changed the outcome of both of you moving on.

3) You will be just fine. It hurts like hell. Makes you question your value, intelligence, looks etc. When you start to recover, the intensity of the pain becomes difficult to remember. It takes time. You are not on her clock anymore, so don't bother worrying about how fast she is moving. That's why NC is essential. You need to not know. When you don't know, you can't get jealous or upset. When she doesn't know, you don't feel rushed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I lost my virginity a couple months ago do I need to. [ 5 Answers ]

Start seeing an obgyn because everyone tells me once I have sex I need to see one is this true? Is it necessary.. and if I did would my parents find out I had sex I'm only 17 and they don't know and I don't want them to find out because of the circumstances. Do I need to make an appoinment? Or not

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

9 Months and I lost it with OCD [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first post, I have been clicking around this site for a few months, its is very useful and helpful and now I find myself with a question, so I hope I can receive some help I dated a girl for 9 months and it recently took a turn for the worst. I met her through my younger...

Having a hard time forgetting my ex after 4 months [ 7 Answers ]

Hi guys, I've read around these forums a bit and everyone seems very helpful and friendly... so I guess that's why I'm posing my personal question here. My ex-girlfriend and I dated for 7 months but around the 6 month mark, things got a little rocky. She was in the middle of transitioning to...

Lost two phisical hard drives [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 120 gigs hard drives divided in half, My drive with the OS and cd still workes but 2 phisical drives have been lost my PC can't find them they were there a hour before and no changes made to them I think it may be cables or controler how do I fix the latter or is there something I should...

View more questions Search