Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aimee-Dame Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Probability.likely or unlikely events?
    A Media rental store rented the following # of movie titles in each of these categories:

170 horror,230 drama,120 mystery,310 romance,& 150 comedy. If a person selects a movie to rent, find the probability that it is a romance or a comedy. Is this event likely or unlikely to occur? (AND explain why)
    Please help me how to do a problem like this, or this problem. Thanks, Aimee-dame
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 01:37 PM

There are 980 movies in all.

There are 310 romance and 150 comedies.

There are no movies which are both romance and comedy, so P(R and C)=0

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2009, 03:00 AM

I don't know about likelihood or not, but I think that you say something is likely when it's probability is greater than 50% or 1/2.

23/49 is less than 50%, so more unlikely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for Historical events [ 4 Answers ]

What are some Historical figures ans events?

Events with the 'In-Laws' [ 2 Answers ]

My partner and I have very different ideas on what is expected when you are in a relationship dealing with the 'family functions' of the opposite partner. While I attend all of the family functions, i.e. birthday parties, work functions and holiday get togethers. My partner and I were on...

Probability in two events [ 3 Answers ]

If the probability of Team A winning against Team B is 91%. And the probability of Team C winning against Team D is 95%. What is the probability of Teams A and C both winning? (Calculation and answer please)

Historic events [ 2 Answers ]

What are the important historic and political events of India and its neighbouring countries in 2006, 2007 2008?

View more questions Search