Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bibler Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Removing caulking
    I have asked a question a while ago regarding the melting and non-adhering caulking that I have.

I am going to apply the GE silicone II once I have cleaned out the area. I was told to use rubbing alcohol to thoroughly clean it. Do I really need to use alcohol? And if yes, do I use a cloth or paper towel to soak the alcohol?

Thanks

Jun 24, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Caulk Application
    Also, is it OK to wet my fingers to smooth out the silicone caulk? I am just concerned that the wetness will prevent the caulk from drying.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 11:37 AM

The siicone will dry, no problem.

I use wd40 on finger to keep from sticking to finger.

Chuck

Alcohol is used to remove residual from old caulking, also gives u a clean surface for silicone. Best to use a rag.

Chuck

Jun 24, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Alcohol is used to remove residual from old caulking, also gives u a clean surface for silicone. best to use a rag.

Chuck

So do I need to rub the rag against the area real hard or just lightly? Do I need to wait for it to dry?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2009, 01:01 PM

Rub till rag clean. Keep changing rag surface. Alcohol will dry instantly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub caulking [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, I have caulked tubs along the wall many of times in my life. But, I have never had this problem. The caulk even after curing for 36 hours seems to melt after just a couple days. I becomes liquid again, just as if it was out of the tube. I am so confused. It is a jacuzzi style tub with tiled...

Caulking the tub [ 1 Answers ]

We used Dap Kitchen and Bath Adhesive Caulk. We let it dry for two Days. But it washes off. Is there something better, that will be pliable Yet firm enough to stay put?

Shower caulking won't dry [ 7 Answers ]

We did a bathroom remodel which included new tile in the shower. Walls and floor. We have run a bead of caulking where the shower wall meets the floor. The caulking appears to dry at first but after a few days it forms bubbles in places and begins to break down. It never really drys. We...

Caulking vs grouting [ 4 Answers ]

I just set 50 large (8"x 10") tiles on the upper back wall over my fiberglass shower unit. These tiles go along the top (to the ceiling) and down along the sides to the floor. The will not come into contact with direct water. (hopefully) I had planned on mixing grout that would have matched my...

View more questions Search