Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inspector54hotmailcom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Garnish
    Can Credit Card Companys Garnis Your Pay In Texas If You Can't Pay?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Generally, no.

"In Texas, wages cannot be attached or garnished, except for child support.

Income that is not a wage can be garnished or ordered turned over to a receiver.

Bank accounts, rents and royalties can be garnished.

Exemptions include social security benefits.

WARNING For individuals living in Texas who are paid from an out of state location, there is case law (Baumgardner vs. Sou Pacific 177 S.W. 2d 317) to support taking a judgment from Texas, domesticating the judgment in the foreign state, then filing the wage garnishment there. Many creditors have used this strategy successfully." <source>
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2006, 08:39 AM
    I will agree, normally no, They may be able to attach your bank accounts, so you may have to close them and work with cash and money orders to pay bills.

But also remember Texas can always change that law at any time, many places are become more friendly toward the creditors nowadays

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a creditor garnish a bank account if there is a payment agreement? [ 3 Answers ]

A while back I asked a question for my friend who is disabled on social assistance, and was being bothered by creditors. Well, since that time, she has made arrangements with the creditors and is paying them $25 a month towards her debt, which is all she can afford with her low income. The...

Can they garnish wages if you make $144 a week? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my husband and I are both on SS disability. He was able to go to work two days a week under their ticket to work program. I need to know the following. If he incurs a debt, can they garnish his wages if he makes only $144 a week? I know they can't touch his social security, but if only...

View more questions Search