Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onionhippy Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Is it wrong/silly/crazy to end a great long term relationship to be alone?
    I am 28 years old and I have never been single. I started in relationships when I was 17.

I adore my live-in boyfriend of 5 years but I often feel like I am missing out on the time to myself that everyone else but me seems to have had.

I can never seem to make decisions about anything and I am incredibly dependent. My boyfriend takes wonderful care of me and I know he is only trying to look after me, but it has effected me badly. I can't seem to do anything for myself. I feel constantly lost, and I don't like the person I am.

What should I do? I love the time we spend together but on the other hand I can't stop thinking about breaking free. He is an amazing man who has done nothing to warrant this happening to him, and he adores me. I keep trying to tell myself "it's not his life, it's MINE, and it's time to start living for yourself for once" but I cannot stop thinking about how utterly devastated he would be.

We live together which makes it harder, so it is not exactly easy for me to suggest we have some space. He would not understand that need either, he is very black and white - I either want to be with him, or I don't, there is no in between, he'd say. He also thinks feelings like this (i.e. finding yourself) are a "cop out", "excuses" and a "load of rubbish".

I don't know what to do. Should I leave a man that loves me so? I may never find someone who cares for me like this again, but something has to be done.

AManWithNoName Posts: 424, Reputation: 9

Jun 23, 2009, 10:48 PM
    This isn't an answere you can rely on someone else to answere for you
    You got to try and figure this out on your own

Jun 23, 2009, 11:07 PM
    I absolutely agree. But the thing is I have been trying to work it out for about a year now.

What would you do? And has anyone ever been in a similar situation?
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Jun 23, 2009, 11:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onionhippy View Post
    I am 28 years old and I have never been single. I started in relationships when I was 17.

I adore my live-in boyfriend of 5 years but I often feel like I am missing out on the time to myself that everyone else but me seems to have had.

I can never seem to make decisions about anything and I am incredibly dependant. My bf takes wonderful care of me and I know he is only trying to look after me, but it has effected me badly. I can't seem to do anything for myself. I feel constantly lost, and I don't like the person I am.

What should I do? I love the time we spend together but on the other hand I can't stop thinking about breaking free. He is an amazing man who has done nothing to warrant this happening to him, and he adores me. I keep trying to tell myself "it's not his life, it's MINE, and it's time to start living for yourself for once" but I cannot stop thinking about how utterly devastated he would be.

We live together which makes it harder, so it is not exactly easy for me to suggest we have some space. He would not understand that need either, he is very black and white - I either want to be with him, or I don't, there is no in between, he'd say. He also thinks feelings like this (i.e. finding yourself) are a "cop out", "excuses" and a "load of rubbish".

I don't know what to do. Should I leave a man that loves me so? I may never find someone who cares for me like this again, but something has to be done.

You already know the answer.
    You owe it to yourself to live as a free-standing adult before, one day, you find yourself permanently locked into dependency. Self-reliance, self-knowing, resilience, self-confidence, and your ability to survive on your own are recurring, natural urges that will not go away. You need to find out who you are, and not settle for being this person you don't like.

From what you say, your boyfriend will never have room for you to grow. At any time in the future you want to do anything in the "Finding Yourself" department, he will fight it. Yes, he loves you, but on what terms? And yes, he will take it very badly when you take your space. Prepare yourself and deal with it. Move sensitively and swiftly.

If you really care for this boyfriend, be ready to listen to him when he blows up, and to understand, and keep moving out the door. You might try a several-month separation, but a "black and white" guy probably won't go for it. Leaving him will take determination.

As for finding someone who cares for you like this again, it's always a risk. But won't the person you become because you took this step in your life be much more deep, free, easy to love, and worthy of respect?

Good luck.

Tao

Jun 23, 2009, 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taoplr View Post
    You already know the answer. You owe it to yourself to live as a free-standing adult before, one day, you find yourself permanently locked into dependency.
    Yes I know... I think my mind has been made up for a while, I just can't seem to gather the courage to do anything about it!

Oh boy... I have a man here who wants to marry me, buy a home with me and care for me for the rest of his days... yet I don't want him, or anyone, right now. What on earth is wrong with me?
    AManWithNoName Posts: 424, Reputation: 9

Jun 23, 2009, 11:46 PM
    I've been broken up with for every possible reason in the book, and letme tell you, it hurts espessually the most when the girl decides she just wants to be single
    But, you do owe it to yourself to have that freedome
    Maybe he'll understand, who knows
    Lifes a story that you have the power over, no don't let no one take that from you, espesually not some clingy boyfreind
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Jun 23, 2009, 11:55 PM
    Yes I know... I think my mind has been made up for a while, I just can't seem to gather the courage to do anything about it!

Oh boy... I have a man here who wants to marry me, buy a home with me and care for me for the rest of his days... yet I don't want him, or anyone, right now. What on earth is wrong with me?
    Nothing is wrong. You will be grateful for the rest of your life for having taken this step. You don't know yourself well enough to get married. It's great that you know it.

But you won't like the next stage. Make is as simple and direct as possible with your boyfriend. Tell him the truth. He won't agree or understand because things seem fine between you. Don't make the mistake of justifying separating by making things go sour.

Making it on your own will require discipline in any areas. That starts now.

Tao
    jimseekinadvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 42

Jun 24, 2009, 01:11 AM

Do what you got to do, the longer you wait the worse it will be. I'd say try to communicate as much as possible first before you lay out the news. Also, seek out any alternatives. I feel my ex girlfriend left me for a similar reason (to find independence). It felt like a lack of communication because it was out of the blue. It will suck, it still sucks.. but in the end I know it was for the best. We ended up depending so much on each other we lost our own individuality. We made the relationship our lives when it should only be a part. I would never have improved as much as I have over the last few months if it wasn't for the break up.. and she's off finding whatever she needs to find. I've accepted our situation and set her free because I know its what would make her happy (plus I wouldn't be able to stop her anyway :P). Am I devastated? Definitely, my heart was crushed, at least I got my explanation, some don't even get an explanation. Did I feel we did everything possible to save the relationship? May be not... but I felt that was due to lack of communication. Either way though, that was the way the cookie crumbled. But know it will have a HUGE impact on EVERYTHING. Also, try to not string him along or give him false hope it will just make everything difficult. P.S. please don't use the line "lets just be friends" because it will never work unless you both mutually wanted the break up.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 11:09 AM

Just curious, is there room in this relationship to have good clean fun, and explore yourself, by doing what you want to do?

Or do you just want to see what else is out there, man wise?? Do you have your own friends, hobbies, and activities, out side this relationship??

Many in a long term relationship face this same problem, when life bogs us down, and we want more from ourselves.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Jun 24, 2009, 11:21 AM

Very interesting situation.

On one hand, this gentleman has done nothing to warrant you leaving him. From the sounds of it he may well indeed be hard to come by again. I think it a big gamble to try and be independent or at least test out your independence with such a big gambling chip.

That being said, you feel what you feel. You cannot live your life for others, if your not going into a possible marriage with the utmost confidence you will be happy than it is yet another gamble. I'd really focus on the reason, you say independence but it may well go deeper than that.

It seems to be one of those situations in which you and only you know your real feelings. Perhaps your being too nice in assessing what is wrong with the relationship. I understand that you speak of him in high regard, however, I'm not sure people would leave such a great guy over the need to be alone. I mean essentially that is what your saying, alone seems more attractive at this point than him, not exactly the Garden of Eden I would imagine.

Sorry, I wrote a lot but don't really have any advice other than make sure you know what you want and listen to yourself.

Best of luck.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 11:57 AM

You're looking for vindication as you've already made up your mind so here it is: you're not happy, that's reason enough to leave. In fact, you should leave before you cheat or something a long those lines.

It does bother when I read posts like this 'cause it forces me to think, "will my future girlfriend say the same thing about me?". But, I'm 23, and I did a lot of growing up and had a lot of fun since I was 17, and couldn't imagine being in a relationship from that time to five years into the future. Teenage to early adult hood have the best years lived single, and I'm glad I did and am doing so now. The ship left port a while ago for you, but you did catch on, which now means you should do something about it.

There really just aren't things you can do or even say if your in a relationship. You need to be on your own to find out who you are, and it seems after all this time you've found that out for yourself.

Cheers, hope it works out for you.

Jun 24, 2009, 06:12 PM
    Hi guys. Thanks again for all your answers. I am still no closer to making a decision but that's just me and my hazy, confused head :(

I have also come to realise recently that I have begun to see my boyfriend as more of a father figure... it's something that I think has been there for a while, but I was just too creeped out to admit it. He is nearly 20 years older than me. As I said he cares for me very much, and is always making sure I am OK. He also kind of scolds me like a child whenever we fight, pointing his finger in my face and depending on the case, telling me to "show some respect"... I am so f'ed up at the moment, I have no idea what to think or do.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 06:23 PM

It's time to grow up and leave home!
    Hopefully he is mature enough and cares about you enough to understand the reason you want and need to leave and not give you grief.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 06:28 PM

He is nearly 20 years older than me. As I said he cares for me very much, and is always making sure I am OK. He also kind of scolds me like a child whenever we fight, pointing his finger in my face and depending on the case, telling me to "show some respect"... I am so f'ed up at the moment, I have no idea what to think or do.
    Boy that makes a big difference. Wish you had of include that fact in your original post!!

Jun 24, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Boy that makes a big difference. Wish you had of include that fact in your original post!!!
    Yeah sorry about that, I probably should have... maybe I always felt this way, but it has taken me 5 years to finally admit it? I just can't work this out. I don't want him to feel like I have used him.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 07:34 PM

He may have used you a bit.
    You need to leave the nest. This is not fair to either of you. You stay you both of you wll end up miserable.

Jun 24, 2009, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegirl 50 View Post
    He may have used you a bit.
    You need to leave the nest. This is not fair to either of you. You stay you both of you wll end up miserable.
    How do you think he used me? I am just curious. I once had someone tell me when he and I first met that they thought he was taking advantage of me being so young and not really knowing what I wanted (I was 21 at the time). It never really made sense to me.

I got a message from him today: Work is good. Day is going fast. Perfect girlfriend. Life is great. It made me feel sick! :(
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 08:04 PM

As young as you were, and as old as he was he had to have know you would come to this point. He may not have done this maliciously but he has not allowed you to grow.
    He has enjoyed having this sweet young thing all these years it has made him feel good, but again, your emotional growth has been stunted.
    He has to know you are going through this, unless he chooses to not see it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2009, 08:11 PM

You are either happy enough with him to find a way to make it work or you need to get out and get independent. }
    If you can't get out and make a life for yourself. If you can't tell him I want to join some clubs, go to school, find a job, get a life, etc... then I suggest you do get out on your own.
    If leaving is the only way you are going to make things happen then you need to leave.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 08:31 PM

I got a message from him today: Work is good. Day is going fast. Perfect girlfriend. Life is great. It made me feel sick! :(
    This comment is disturbing.

Sounds like you have already decided what you want to do but are too scared to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating after long term relationship [ 9 Answers ]

I have just split up with my girlfriend after 8 years and I can barely remember what its like to date. I am very used to being open and acting naturally in front of my ex-girlfriend because she knew everything about me. Im thinking acting the same way entering a new relationship is the not the way...

I'm in a long term relationship but like someone else! [ 8 Answers ]

I've been going out with this guy for like... forever... I love him so much... and have done since I met him... but I've started to have feelings for another guy... but he's not just a guy... he's my best friend... I can't stop thinking about him... he's in my mind all the time and I feel guilty...

End of a long-term relationship [ 33 Answers ]

Hi all Recently (a week and a half ago to be exact) my girlfriend/partner of two and a half years broke up with me. Preceding this, she had moved out a week before after we found out that we were getting kicked out of our apartment in a couple of months. My world has been turned upside down (it...

Long-term relationship break [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been dating for 3 1/2 years and do not live together. We both have full time jobs and we're getting to the age where moving out and getting married is upcoming. We have discussed moving out together several times and have talked about marriage as well. Over time we have had...

Sex in a long term relationship [ 18 Answers ]

Just a quick question. When you have been in a relationship for over 6 years what makes the sex STILL so scrummy? ;)

View more questions Search