Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackie_Lynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Taking care of Mom and getting paid
    My wife and I take care of her mother and have for the last 5 years. I work and my wife does the actual home care with no assistance from two of her 3 sisters. The youngest sister comes twice a year for two weeks to give us a break. None of the sisters, (other than the youngest has offered) though pay anything for my wife's work and care that she has provided to her mom.

I don't want to sound frivolous, but we are living on just my income, which is not very much. We watch the other "sisters" (I will leave the youngest of the sisters out of the rest of this dialog, because it would be unfair to lump her in with the oldest two sisters), go off on vacations all over the country, and never have they asked to spell us or very rarely do they even come to visit.

It was brought to my attention that maybe we could apply for medicare for my wife's work in taking care of her mom, but the issue I would like to ask is does my wife have to be a licensed day care giver and does there have to be a doctors order requesting care.

Mom can do some things, but not a whole lot. My wife takes her to Doctor visits. Helps to pay bills, and cleans the house twice a week and does the weekly torture grocery visit, which is Mom's way of getting some time away from home. Other than this, she sits in her living/bedroom and reads the morning paper and watches TV.

Again, the question is, can my wife get paid for taking care of Mom at home? If anyone has the answer please let us know.

Thanks in advance
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 07:18 PM

My neighbor gets paid for taking care of her boyfriend because he has health issues.
    I can't remember what the program is called but I will get back to you when I remember.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 07:35 PM

There are programs, but normally they will not pay family members, at least in our state you will have to work for a licensed agency.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 09:12 AM

This link may shed some light on the issue.
    Does Medicaid help pay for home care? Costs Of Home Care (Health & Wellbeing: Home Care)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 09:26 AM

My mom is getting paid here in Arizona for taking care of her mom. ALTHOUGH, I am NOT 100% sure it is her accuall mom. I believe its her adopted mom. Either way, I think it still applys.

Here in az you need to go through a training course, and you have to log EVERYTHING. 'how long you spend doing the landry for her, how long you spend fixing food for her, how long it takes to bathe her, put her to bed, ect' my mom said sometimes it does get annoying. But it is well worth it for the extra help at the end of the month. Its not MUCH, my mom gets maybe 500. Its either every 2 weeks or every month, either way, it helps
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 09:59 AM

Your situation sounds exactly like ours. Except now both the wife and I are unemployed. Her Mom at 92 is starting to have lots of health issues. Hip replacement, cancer, you name it. We have never gotten one red cent from wife's siblings. Nor do we expect that when she does die that we will have more than two cents left over to rub together. This is not about what you are owed, or who says what. It is about doing the right thing for your family. Keep up the good work. If you need to vent or talk to someone in the same situation, feel free to PM me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going crazy taking care of mom [ 5 Answers ]

I'm ashmed to say it but I don't believe this is going to work. To top it off my 2 sisters tell me I asked for it and now I'mstuck with it. Let me go back a few years. I was about to re-marry after 15 years of being a bachelor. She died in a car accident. I was devistated. Lost my job,...

Proving I paid over 50% of the care for my children. [ 2 Answers ]

My ex claims she did not work. She was attending school full-time. I paid alimony, child support, medical insurance, child care for the child who was not school aged, I have medical bills. What counts toward the 50+%?? She will not sign a release out of spite. I have even offered half the...

How much should I be getting paid for live-in care giver? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I live in North Dakota. I take care of an 82 year old man who has a prostetic leg, glass eye, pacemaker, & alzhimers. I am his ONLY care giver as he is very stubborn. Stubborn enough in fact that his wife moved out of his home 8 1/2 years ago. She hired me to take care of him. She told me that...

Taking care of mom [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 15, and I have to take care of my mother. She's 58 years old, and I've basically been her pyschiatrist my whole life. Now that she's older, I have to be her nurse as well. She had a parcial knee replacement last year, and I took care of her and the household by myself. Now she has to get a...

Taking care of mold [ 2 Answers ]

Lastnight I just noticed mold growing on the windowsill in my bathroom. Its not very much but I'm not sure how to take care of it? I've never dealt with mold. Can some one help. Thanks

View more questions Search