Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spike55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 05:58 PM
    Grounding a subpanel
    I have a set of direct current solar panels mounted on a metal structure (carport). All the panels and the structure are grounded to a ground rod driven near one of the support posts.

Can I use the same ground rod for the ground connection of an alternating current subpanel mounted on one of the support posts?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
    Yes, since if separate AC system is used nearby, and it has it's own ground rod, they must be connected either with a direct wire or through the common equipment ground system.

All ground rods need to be connected together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

60 AMP Subpanel Help [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to install a 60 amp subpanel. I plan to have a 60amp breaker in my main panel fed to a main lug subpanel. Questions: Can I use 6/3 Romex NM - the distance is about 65 feet? Can I use a 100amp main lug sub panel even though the main breaker is 60amps? I need four spaces in the...

Generator grounding [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a 4400/3500 watt generator for a building project. The directions say that I need to ground the generator with a suitable grounding rod and stranded No. 12 AWG wire. I have never heard of contractors grounding their generators. Are they being careless, or are my generator...

Grounding an Outlet [ 22 Answers ]

I am moving into an older house that has only 2-prong outlets. Some are 3-prong, but they are not grounded (I have a power strip that tells you if it is gounded or not). I found this at Ace Hardware....

Some subpanel questions [ 1 Answers ]

My winter project is to build a 12x20 shed in the far corner of the back yard. I'd like to run electric service for lights and power tools. On the outside of the house about 30' from the main panel I have a 240V pullout switch that at one time supplied an AC compressor (since relocated to the...

Help - What to do with the Grounding Wires [ 5 Answers ]

Because of brown waters, I want to re-run the hot/cold water pipes for the entire house. But there is one major problem, the existing galvanized pipes had some grounding wires attached to them and I'll plan to use the PEX pipe. I have no ideas how to run the new grounding wires when I take out...

View more questions Search