Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rstcrat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Brother 240C 'print counter'?
    Re: Brother 240C
    Does this model have a print counter (similar to the Epson systems wherein they 'estimate' the number of copies made and insist on replacement ink cartridges when their imagined totals have been reached---and then proceed to disable the printer until new cartridges are inserted---whether the current ones are out of ink or not).
    I ask because despite replacing the Yellow, Cyan and Magenta cartridges with brand new OEM cartridges, and answering 'Yes' when ask if I have done so, I keep getting
    --'Near empty yellow'
    --'Ink empty Cyan'
    --'Replace ink'
    In the LCD and am not allowed to print

All steps have been repeated several times--before and after having switched off the main power and even after re-installing the damn thing from disk.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.

rstcrat
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 05:20 PM

Please replace the cartridges with Epson cartridges and see if the failures go away.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but the failure most likely lies in the use of OEM Cartridges.

Several printers companies (HP, Canon, Lexmark) do not condone the use of refilled cartridges or cartridges made by third parties in their products.

Most manufacturer's will consider this to be product tampering and will not honor any type of warranty repairs caused by third party ink.

This is actually a statement of quality not ripping off the customer. The manufacturer of the product creates the ink specifically for their product. They do not have any type of testing for third party products, nor should they.

Jul 2, 2009, 07:50 PM
    donf,

Thanks for your reply---but I think you missed the point---or the definition of 'OEM' (Original Equipment Manufacturer)

Did you even read the question?

As far as I know Epson does not make cartridges for B]Brother[/B] machines.

The cartridge replacements I used were manufactured by Brother for Brother machines-.
    Neither the original nor the replacement cartridges were 'tampered with'.
    They were brand new---fresh out of their wrappers---not refilled, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't 'condone' the use of their own products.

Consequently, your comments about 'specifically', 'tampering', 'third party products', 'ripping off' and 'quality' are as far off the mark as could be--rendering them both moot and misdirected.

So the question remains---is there some kind of 'auto-counting' cut-off switch built in to these machines or these cartridges that causes the machine to repeatedly ignore or reject a legitimate replacement?

rstcrat

Jul 3, 2009, 06:50 PM

Ever so sorry, my response was to a different item. No wonder it made no sense to you.

The terms I used have much more to do with those posters who use OEM ("Other Equipment Manufacturers") and somehow believe that the manufacturers of the original equipment are only out to "rip" them off because of the amount charged for the ink.

As to your specific question regarding a "Counter" on a Brother, I honestly cannot answer that one. I know on most of the Lexmark printers, there is no page counter. For example, when you install the cartridge into a Lexmark printer, the cartridge tells the printer whether it is a new full cartridge or a cartridge that comes in the box with the printer. There is a big difference between a full cartridge and the one in the box.

I do apologize for my obvious error on the first post.

Jul 3, 2009, 10:01 PM
    Don,

Not to worry...
    I appreciate that you were offering to assist---and I can see where the confusion may have originated.

Wasn't it Epson who implanted a chip in their cartridges---that then required the use of a 'resetter' device if one was to refill with OTC (over the counter) ink?

Still cannot get my Brother 240C to accept a new cartridge.
    I'll head over to their site and see if I'm alone in this. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again.

Crat.

Jul 4, 2009, 06:08 AM

Crat,

Not to many manufacturers use a chip in the cartridge (at least that I know of) to manage the counter.

Typically, the chip is used to identify itself to the printer code which then takes over. You really do not need much intelligence in the cartridge for an ink jet.

However, a laser printer cartridge is another story. Print cartridges from Lexmark contain a "Smart Chip" that pipes all manner of information to the code in the printer.

My suggestion would be to contact Brother and tell them they have sold you defective cartridges. All OEM (Original :-)) cartridges come with a warranty against defects. Not being seen by the host printer is a severe defect.
    kelobato Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 02:38 PM

There is a internal fuse in the cart. So I could been blown before you got it try a new cart to see if that is it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems with my Brother MCF-240C printer [ 4 Answers ]

I got trouble with my Brother MCF-240 Printer, unable to print at the moment and a message appearing says " clean unable 46, see troubleshooting and maintenance,chapter in user's guide. Please do help me in fixing this matter.

I can print spreadsheets, but I can't print images or text. [ 2 Answers ]

Anytime I try to print a spreadsheet it works. But when I try to print anything else it comes out blurry. What could be causing this?

Print wireless without a print server [ 4 Answers ]

Print wireless without a print server how? My name is bob I have desktop running win xp home ed with a printer. I would like to print to my laptop (wireless) how do I print wireless without buying a print server?:(

Brother printer won't print [ 1 Answers ]

Brother HL-1240 Laser printer will not move the paper through the toner cartridge. The paper goes just barely into the cartridge, then stops. All the trouble lights register normal. It had been working OK before that, though I did take the cartrigde out to make sure it was clean as I got a sight...

View more questions Search