Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 05:29 PM
    ''S'' Traps
    Tom, if you hadn't educated me on vents and traps, I might never notice a bunch of stuff. Recently I spent 2 days in the basement of the dog guide school kennel in a training session. Largely unfinished, likely never intended to have 75 dogs and their people there all day for training. At one point, the drains from the floor above caught my eye. ''S'' traps, perhaps dozens! It is a large commercial grade building built about 15 years ago. You could see the drain pipes coming down through the ceiling and back up and over like a good ''P'' trap. However, the horizontal pipe never met a Tee for a vent. They angled down and then into a manifold that ran to a vertical pipe disappearing down into the basement floor. Nothing in sight going up to a vent. I took a picture, and can email it to you when I get the film developed. Many of the drains are floor drains to hose off the kennel floors, but include rest rooms and sinks. Can't imagine them getting away with what looks like a massive code violation. After all, the local authorities hassled them about providing parking for the people training with the dog guides. They also complained the dormitory wasn't handicapped assessable.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Hey Lab,
    I sure am glad to see you back. What do plan on doing about this situation. It might just bankrupt the building owner to bring this building up to code. Also under local codes the "S" traps might be grandfathered in. Let me hear from you. Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 12:19 PM
    More than anything, I only plan to have you satisfy my curiosity or correct my understanding of s traps. Maybe when I get the photo, you will see detail I missed.

I doubt buildings built in 1992 have s traps grandfather in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water htr/heat traps/pipe config. [ 2 Answers ]

Some time back I installed a new water heater and it had the factory installed heat traps. The instructions say you MAY have to install one or more 90° elbows in order to make a “U” configuration in the supply pipes. It also shows the pipes running vertically from the heater. I’ve read on various...

Heat traps vs check valves [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed a check valve on the cold water inlet side of my water heater (it's a Voyager 100,000 BTU, combi heater-domestic and radiant heat). I am getting convective heat tranfer in the cold water line. I'm assuming the check valve (spring type) is not designed to prevent heat transfer. Are...

Is having 2 traps OK? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have moved my washer and dryer and added a sink for a 1/2 bath in that spot. The washer had an existing trap in the wall. It would be a real pain to cut it out because it is galvanized pipe and because of were the trap is located. Would it be OK to leave the existing trap in the...

View more questions Search