Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIANABARNES Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Teaching someone who is illiterate
    I need to know where to begin to teach an illiterate adult.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 08:44 PM

Teaching them what? How are their learning funtions besides not being able to read ?
    weetamoe79 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 05:22 PM

Start with teaching the alphabet song, then have the student point to the letters as he sings them. Once the letters are learned, teach the sound that each one makes. Next, teach the consonant digraphs (two letters that make one sound, such as 'th' - it doesn't say 't' 'h', but 'th'), then vowel digraphs ('ai' makes the long a sound). In addition, work on the Dolch words (high frequency words) and sight words (words that are not pronounced as they are spelled). Good Luck
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 19, 2009, 03:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by weetamoe79 View Post
    Start with teaching the alphabet song, then have the student point to the letters as he sings them. Once the letters are learned, teach the sound that each one makes. Next, teach the consonant digraphs (two letters that make one sound, such as 'th' - it doesn't say 't' 'h', but 'th'), then vowel digraphs ('ai' makes the long a sound). In addition, work on the Dolch words (high frequency words) and sight words (words that are not pronounced as they are spelled). Good Luck
    Also, using pictures helps the person better understand the sounds. Toy stores and school supply stores have an ample selection of picture books with simple, colorful illustrations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can an illiterate be a citizen of the USA? [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir, Here is question. My mother is 65 years old,she is a green card holder of USA. She has completed her period for applying for the citizenship.the problem is that she can't even read or write her mother tongue properly so english language is far more difficult for her.she...

Teaching illiterate adults to learn English [ 3 Answers ]

I am a volunteer teaching English in my church but I have many illiterate adults trying to learn English, Is it better to teach them first to learn how to read and write in their native language?

Technologically illiterate [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, I've browsed through some of these questions and they're in a new language. :eek: I was excited when I figured out how hook my 8-track player up to my boom box. When I bought my first CD player, I needed a cassette adapter to play it in the car. So, I know somebody will read this and...

Since the framers of the Constitution felt the people were too illiterate to elect a? [ 2 Answers ]

Since the framers of the Constitution felt the people were too illiterate to elect a? Presidential college Electoral college Election college

Are home refinancers just plain illiterate? [ 5 Answers ]

I MEAN DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE SIGNING? Your home is your biggest asset. I cannot believe some of you are stupid enough To trust your assets to a stranger who picks up the phone and asks if you are looking to refinance your home. Let me tell you something... I have been in...

View more questions Search