Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

Jun 22, 2009, 08:11 PM
    Mosquito control
    Does anyone have experience with Mosquito plants?
    I’ve seen them advertised and never thought much about them. We live along the Rio Grande and the mosquito’s are fierce this year.
    We’ve used citronella candles and sprays and have grown to object the chemically smell.
    So, if anyone has a more natural - but successful defense for these little pest, I would be most appreciative.
    Thanks!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 10:15 PM

Have you tried products that contain DEET?

For adults it is safe to use 20-30% DEET products, as for children from 2-12 should only use 10% DEET products.

I know DEET isn't the best thing to use but it does work. OFF Deep Woods bug repellent is something I use when I'm out in my yard.

Sarah
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 02:43 AM
    I do not have any experience with them, but there are several products on the market that try to attract mosquitoes away from your yard. Some use a CO2 generator, others use heat and odors, and I saw one that uses ozone.

There are also the actual plants they make citronella from, are those what you call "mosquito plants?"
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Jun 24, 2009, 09:42 PM
    The best mosquito repellent is indeed DEET. Picaridin is a newer repellent that has shown some efficacy. However, daily use is probably not enjoyable. Use on the occasional camping trip or outdoor picnic is tolerable.

Homeowners spraying aerosol insecticides only have a temporary effect. Citronella candles or mosquito plants if they have any effect are only effective for a limited distance.

I'm afraid the best relief is screens on the windows, a screened-in patio, or a mesh party tent for the backyard.

Draining areas or preventing areas of standing water is another defense, but primarily a strategy used by gov't vector control districts or large landowners Homeowners should be vigilant to drain areas of standing water such as from tree holes, flower pots, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mosquito bites:( [ 9 Answers ]

How long do mosquito bites take to go away, and or, how can I make them go away more quick? I've got very very big mosquito bites(dime size) is that normal?

Mosquito bites [ 8 Answers ]

I have a very important function tomorrow night and I have A lot of mosquito bites over my legs. I have planned to wear a short dress, so is there anything that can get rid of the redness of the mosquito bites or get rid of them quickly? Any answers would be greatly apreciated! :)

Mosquito in a car ? [ 2 Answers ]

OK... this question does not have a specific topic... anyway... Why is it that if a mosquito or a fly in a moving vehicle or elevator always stay in the enclosed space, suspended in the air and do not collide with the walls enclosing it?? :confused: Well maybe I'm really dumb :p

Mosquito Magnet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone own a Mosquito Magnet and is it worth it? I have a 5 acres lot and my backyard is a plantation of pine trees. So yes there is a lot of mosquitos my family loves the outdoor but we are invaded by mosquitos so we keep ourselves indoors. Any suggestions Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search