Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Keepitsimple146 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 06:23 PM
    CC debt law suit
    My wife if being sued by a cc collection company. She owes about 1800.00 and we just don't have any extra money right now being that I'm the only one working. She went to court already one time and they gave her another court date now they are sending all this other paperwork and I'm unsure of what to do at this point. Any advise would be appreciated.

I am currently in a lawsuit for a debt, and have responsed to their discoveries as well as filed my owned but I haven't hear anything. Since I've been to court once and got it continued but what now? They haven't responded so what should the next move be.

I was going to court on one case, but then was summoned for an additional case for the same day. The rep on their side was being shady and told me both cases were together. The first case was dismissed but now I have a judgment for the other case. How do I file an appeal.

Excon, no one will tell me my appeal rights, I've called the clerk and she can't tell me anything

Judykaytee, it was in the same room. The rep said the cases were to be filed together. Was I just duked

After filing an appeal, and recently having it dismissed was horrible. Since I'm representing myself I was barely able to understand what the next step was. Now that I have the order of the ways things are suppose to go, where do I find a template for writing a motion to reinstate a case that was dismissed.

Its not that, I had to figure out the ins and outs of the legal system, by trial and error. But the problem was that the copy of the file was not filed in time, so I had to write a motion for out of time, by the time I got that figured out, it was dismissed. I didn't have the funds to get the legal files, hell I didn't have the money for the appeal but I scrapped pennies for it. I just can't pay a judgment that I don't owe.

I am the and when we went through old files we found my debt was for a different company. I followed their advice, that case was dismissed but somehow I wasn't served for the other case they have against me. So Default judgment, but the courts told me I had to file an appeal.That's were I am, I listen and follow very well.

I meant I am the wife
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 07:39 AM

You can always contest the debt based on the Statute of Limitation or some other defense BUT is it your wife's debt?

Inability to pay is not a defense, unfortunately.

If you can get together a lump sum to offer to pay this off, you can do that.

Otherwise a Judgment will be obtained and enforced according to the laws of your State.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 07:03 PM

Your motion to reinstate the case will probably be dismissed as well. If you filed an appeal and it was denied your case is basically dead in the water. By all means, you can file a Motion to Reinstate the case, but what are your reasons legally to do so? Just because you didn't like the fact that the appeal was denied means that the Judge did not see the merit of your appeal and did not grant it. You need to have sound, legal caselaw that you properly cite giving the reasons your appeal should be granted. If you did this yourself you probably did not know all the ins and outs of proper appeal filing. It's not as easy as it sounds.

You can, however, appeal the appeal ruling by going to a higher court to do this. But again, you must show by way of citing caselaw and law that your appeal be granted. Then the case would be remanded to the original court for a retrial or rehearing before a Judge.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 07:28 PM

If this is about your wife's 1800 credit card lawsuit then a judgment was entered against you. The onus was on you to attend court and see that the other lawsuit was taken care of. Not just the one lawsuit being dismissed but BOTH of the cases being taken care of. You can't really fault the other attorney for doing his job. You just were not paying attention to the matter.

So, what would your reasons be for getting the case reinstated? Because your wife dosen't owe the debt? In your previous questions you got good legal advice from Excon and Judy Kay Tee but you obviously did not pay attention to them. I am sorry that you have no extra money to pay the judgment but you've had at least since June of last year to think about this problem and try to come to some sort of agreement about paying this debt off. Now the attorney can and probably will garnish your wages or worse. I'm sorry that no one is working but you but your wife did run up the credit card debt so you two did benefit from the credit card being used.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 07:52 PM

You never stated much of anything in this post. I had to read back through your other posts to figure out just what you were talking about. What kind of case it was, etc. and what had ensued in the meantime.

Your time to file an appeal came and went on the second case. You now have a Default Judgment against you. The Judge is not going to reopen the other case unless you prove that you were not properly served.

But even if the case is miraculously reopened you will still owe the debt. You sound like somehow you will not owe the second debt.

You need to put your engeries towards figuring out how to pay this judgment off instead of keep dodging it.

You stated that the debt was not yours. How do you figure that? Other than it was with a different company.

But how could the Judge have entered the Judgment against you if this was not your debt?

Jan 9, 2010, 08:21 PM

It was a case of mistaken identity, I proved it on the first case and need to do it again
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 08:07 AM

This post is from June 2009 - this is still not resolved? Hasn't the time frame to appeal expired?

Jan 10, 2010, 09:01 AM

No, not in our state

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Response for credit debt buyers suit [ 1 Answers ]

I received a summons from our county sheriff{Pennsylvania } saying I was being sued by Atlantic credit.Atlantic bought a charged off loan from a credit card company and say I owe them $20,000. I have several questions Id like answered please: 1st. How exactly do I respond to the court by filing a...

Texas: Debt Collection Law Suit & Statute of Limitations [ 0 Answers ]

I live in Texas. I have an outstanding debt for collection of an unpaid balance on a car loan. The car was totaled in a wreck and the insurance company paid all but ~$6k. The car loan company (Chrysler Financial) sent me a letter on July 9, 2004, requesting me to pay the remaining balance in...

Cival suit for credit card debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I live in NC. Long story , but my wife owes 18,000 to a cc company that has now suing. We got the cival summons from the sherrif yesterday. Before anyone says anything, like get another job, that's what you get or to bad. All I want is information about the best way to proceed...

Mother served with papers for suit over debt [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is 64 and owes about $30K in credit card debt. She currently works at a $7 per hour job to bring in some money to help pay the mortgage. She and my father are both on SS, my father is in late stages of COPD with great difficulty breathing. My mother suffers from vertigo, the doctor...

View more questions Search