Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christo57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Old Circuit box questions
    I recently bought a house from a relative and the circuit box seems to be the original from the 60's. I know I need to upgrade and initially thought it was 60 amp service and I would go up to 100 amp. However, I have recently been told that my circuit box is a 'dual bus', because the top 4 spaces on both columns are marked "Main Disconnect", meaning I would have to turn them all off to fully disconnect power, not just the 60 amp breaker.

If I add all the breakers up, there is 185 amps, comprised of 60 amp, 30 amp (ac), tandem 20 amps, 20 amp, 20 amp, 15 amp. If the 185 amp total is correct, then do I really need to upgrade to a higher amperage, or just get a new 200 amp service box and that would do it?

The supply wires are stranded aluminum and appear to be just under 1/2" diameter, but I don't know what gauge exactly that would be.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 12, 2006, 12:39 PM
    I would think that you just need a new 200 amp service box. You might need new breakers also.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 12:54 PM
    Along with a new 200 amp panel and breakers, the meter and all the conduit and wires that connect to the utility line right to the panel needs to be upgraded also.

Are the supply wires you refer to the lines that run overhead from the utility pole to the house? These will be replaced by the utility if necessary once you change your service.

Adding the breakers is not how a service is sized. Minimum size service is 100 amps, but if your considering a 200 amp, from a 60, then you should have plenty of capacity for many years.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Perhaps my area is an abnormality, but the electric company refuses to upgrade the service entry wiring beyond 100 amp in my neighborhood. Better check with your utility company first. Likely any licensed electrician in the area knows the utility's policy.

I am straining my 100 amp service, but little I can do. If you can upgrade to 200 amp now, I would do it. If not, I would try to make it as easy to upgrade as possible when you can.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Labman, I know you have mentioned your problem with the utility line before, so I understand.

Just because the utility company is not willing to upgrade the overhead line for some reason, this should not stop you in any way to upgrade your service.

The electrical system in your home is entirely your responsibility and is subject to all NEC regulations.

The utility, however, is not bound by NEC at all. They use much different rules derating formulas to size their overhead lines. They are obligated to replace their cable in the event of loose, corroded connections, and to increase the line size to limit voltage drop if your demand increases in combination with a long line.

And I believe most states have some sort of Public Utility Commissions that regulate the utilities. If you run into road blocks trying to deal with the utility, then a call into PUC should get their attention.

Hope this helps.
    christo57 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Along with a new 200 amp panel and breakers, the meter and all the conduit and wires that connect to the utility line right to the panel needs to be upgraded also.

Are the supply wires you refer to the lines that run overhead from the utility pole to the house? These will be replaced by the utility if necessary once you change your service.

Adding the breakers is not how a service is sized. Minimum size service is 100 amps, but if your considering a 200 amp, from a 60, then you should have plenty of capacity for many years.
    The supply wires I refer too are the ones that come into the box from the meter.

I don't think my service is 60 amp... that is the largest breaker in the area labeled "Main Disconnects", but there are 5 more breakers labeled Main Disconnect in the box. The 185Amp service makes more sense (185 amps is adding up all the breakers in the areas labeled "main disconnect" in the box), because I have never had the 60 amp blow, and this house does have a bit of higher draw items.

I think I will have to get the 200 amp box and get an electrician to come exchange them out for me.

Thanks for the help
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 16, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Not to beat this horse here, on labmans problem, but I would have thought that if you approached the utility company ready to finance your upgrade I would think they would comply. After all, they aren't paying for it.

And its not like the increase in service won't come back to profit them. After all, more AMP service, means more kiliwatt hours used, more money for them! I am a big fan of electric appliances and gadgets, can't imagine life without 200 AMP service.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 02:07 PM
    I am afraid it is far more than just the wires out to the pole. The heavier wire might have to run clear back to the substation or even to a new plant. The activists have held rates down to where the electric company can't afford to upgrade the infrastructure as proven by the big blackout a few year ago.

How would I nib into the neighbor on the other side's service? They made him bury it after he installed a hot tub under the over head wires. Wonder if the wire they buried was only good for 100 amps? All the wire is hidden in conduit except at the top of the pole. I am not going there.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 16, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I am afraid it is far more than just the wires out to the pole. The heavier wire might have to run clear back to the substation or even to a new plant. The activists have held rates down to where the electric company can't afford to upgrade the infrastructure as proven by the big blackout a few year ago.

How would I nib into the neighbor on the other side's service? They made him bury it after he installed a hot tub under the over head wires. Wonder if the wire they buried was only good for 100 amps? All the wire is hidden in conduit except at the top of the pole. I am not going there.
    Fair enough, I guess they just can't upgrade for one, then they will have to upgrade for all and cause some bad budget problems.
    Just out of curiosity, what is the electric company?

We get serviced by Appalacian Power (AEP) and Ive never heard of this problem before. We're getting charged about 5.5 cents per kiliwatt hour, its due to increase next year though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Restrictions on moving a circuit breaker box? [ 19 Answers ]

I am considering constructing a walk-in closet in what is currently hallway space in my home. One of the walls that would form the interior of the new closet currently holds a circuit breaker box. I don't want to have a circuit breaker in a closet where access could be blocked, so building this...

X in the box [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to cut and paste a graphic into my Yahoo mail and I get a blank box with a red x in the upper left hand corner. Any idea how to correct this?

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search