Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katzim04 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Anti-depressants and Pregnancy
    Can anybody tell me which anti-depressants are safe to take during pregnancy? I am a military wife and we have been transferred to a new state recently and have not been set up with Dr.'s yet. We're working on it, but I don't want to keep taking this medication if it is hurting my baby. I am currently taking prozac.
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 22, 2009, 03:06 PM

I hope you find an answer quickly because I don't think any are OK without a Doctor's supervision. A quick answer source would be to call a pharmacist. The one who filled your prescription should know and you would know in 5 minutes or less.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 09:40 AM

Most women will find that staying on the medication is more of a benefit than a risk. There can be side effects with anything, but you and your doctor will have to weigh the benefits against any risks.

Prozac and Zoloft are two of the more common antidepressants used in pregnancy when such medication is needed. It is usually suggested to take the minimum necessary that helps you. This site might answer some more questions, but obviously speak to your doctor. Since you have to wait to actually see one in person, maybe you could call and explain the situation and get an answer over the phone?

http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/prozac.pdf
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 09:44 AM

I was on my moodstabilizers while pregnant, and I was so much for the better. Without your meds, you are almost 100% definitely going to get post partum depression, if not depression DURING your pregnancy.

KEEP taking your meds unless you hear otherwise from your doctor. NEVER stop taking a med your doctor gives you for any reason. And your doctor will never give you a med that is dangerous for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Risk of suicide with anti-depressants [ 10 Answers ]

I want to talk over how I am feeling with you guys; starting afresh. On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is black hole depression with complete despair, and 10 is happy and content... Before anti depressents and with no exercise, I have been as low as 1-2. Exercise helps a lot and with it I feel about...

My doc put me on anti-depressants [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if this sounds normal to anyone. He put me on a 10 low dose of anti-depressants to get ride of my headaches. I've been on them for almost 2 weeks now and yes they have helped. Though my boyfriend thinks that I've gone crazy now. Am I going to have to stay on these forever so my...

Birth Control and Anti-depressants [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering, I am taking alesse birth control, and also celexa, an anti-depressant. Will the celexa counteract the birth control and make it less effective?

Anyone know anything about anti-depressants? [ 10 Answers ]

My doctor recommended them to me but I'm really scared of using them. Does anyone know any possible side effects they may have (ex. Prozac)

Anti-depressants and relationships - surviving OK? [ 13 Answers ]

Anyone been married happily or living happily with someone while on anti-depressants? I ask because I wonder how effective they are, and am curious to see how people on this forum have dealt with medication and relationships... While I do not require them, I see more and more people who are...

View more questions Search