Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guesswhoiam Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Jun 22, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Making friends??
    Moved to its own thread

Well, folks I am not having any luck with carrying on my longtime friendships.. I seem to just shut people off. My closest girlfriend of 25 yrs just seems to be so shallow and self centered... it has to all be about her... so I have cut her off... our personalities are clashing big time. I just wish I could find a good girlfriend where we can go shopping, chit chat on the phone... you know the usual girlfriend stuff. I am happily married to a wondeful man for 5yrs. So I am completely fulfilled in that soul-mate department... just missing that good girlfriend part of my life. Any advice?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 11:09 AM
    Hobbies, activities, clubs, social groups, VOLUNTEERING, church, are really great places to meet people, and start new healthy relationships, and have good clean fun with other adults. Do you work??
    teastalk Posts: 299, Reputation: 21

Jun 22, 2009, 04:15 PM

To have good long term platonic relationships you must upkeep it. Just like your romantic relationships. Call them occasionally, suggest to go out to eat lunch, ask to go on a double date, send them emails, give them souvenirs from your trips, ask them to go watch movies with you... etc.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jun 22, 2009, 04:33 PM

Its tough sometimes finding a really good friend. Iv had many instances like that. But it happens, people can be the best of friends and then slowly grow apart, due to life changes, lifestyle, distances etc. Sometimes its painful when you realize a friendship isnt what it use to be. Just be yourself and you will attract the kind of friend(s) that your looking for. Sometimes you will find a really good friend without looking for it. good luck!
    winding200 Posts: 167, Reputation: 40

Jun 23, 2009, 06:16 AM

guesswhoiam,

I agree with you that it is really hard find a good girl friend since we are getting older. I am happily married woman with successful career, and have a few but very best girl friends I can talk about anything (include my faults and issues). I met my girl friends at work, worked together for years, known each other by chatting & lunch things, and finally become really close soul-mate type friends when I had to go through crisis and needed help (I did not know askhelpdesk.com by then ha ha). I opened my heart, talked to the sincere girls with tears for help & advise (without pride), and they became my best friends. How lucky I am! However, I only have a few friends just like that.

How old are you? What are you interested in?
    I am interested in salsa dancing class, writing class, shopping, well-being and traveling.

Jun 23, 2009, 06:42 AM

Winding200,
    I am 42 yrs old... no salsa here (hehe) I can't dance. Even though I am from the Caribbean. Love to shop (cautiously though) I love the magazine shows on TV... like Dateline... also love the investigative type shows too. But just easy going... work hard.. has 1 daughter, and a 2 yr old grandaughter - LUV HER!! No kids with my current husband though.

Jun 23, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bizygurl View Post
    Its tough sometimes finding a really good friend. Iv had many instances like that. But it happens, people can be the best of friends and then slowly grow apart, due to life changes, lifestyle, distances etc. Sometimes its painful when you realize a friendship isnt what it use to be. Just be yourself and you will attract the kind of friend(s) that your looking for. Sometimes you will find a really good friend without looking for it. good luck!
    Yes I agree 100%. Good friends are hard to come by. As you get older your priorities change and a lot of times you just grow apart. Sometimes I connect with my High School friends on a social network... and I would see that they are still close with the girls that they were close with back then.. and I find that so wonderful. I just hope I find a wonderful friend when I least expect it... Im getting old :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not Making Friends. [ 10 Answers ]

I have one amazing best friend, but I don't see her often at all because she works so much and I'm in school but we have been friends for almost seven years and I've never found another person like her. But while I'm here at school I've noticed that I can't make friends. Everyone here seems to...

Making Wii friends [ 11 Answers ]

Anyone want to be my wii friend? I might give you my number if you're interested. Note: No fat chicks!

Making friends [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm thirteen, and I've been going through a tough time - I've been depressed, and one of the big factors of it is that I'm not very outgoing. It seems like everyone around me can make friends super easy... but I can't. I really don't know how. I just got back from a girls camp, and I felt...

Making friends [ 2 Answers ]

Well hi my name is ioinie, I have just moved to here form France,now I'm having a hell of a time making friends,I don't know what's wrong with me or what ido wrong,but people just aren't accepting me in the group,how must I integrate properly,what shall I do to not feel unwanted,seeing as I really...

View more questions Search