Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALarkin Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Termites?
    I recently pulled up the stump/roots of a shrub that was about 2 feet from my house, and think it might have been, or was being eaten by termites. We cut the shrub down last year, so the stump was dead, but not obviously riddled by any kind of insects. I don't think there are termites in the walls of the house, and would really like to keep it that way. Should I be concerned about the stump?
    charlie123 Posts: 93, Reputation: 19

Oct 12, 2006, 12:21 PM
    I am no expert - but it might be worth the $100 to call a place like Terminex & have them do an inspection of your home. Good Luck!
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Oct 15, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Look at the foundation both inside & out, the exterior siding, etc and look for shelter tubes. These are lines of mud that the termites travel in.

The termites that do the damage are white and about an 1/8" long.
    In the spring if you see "flying ants" but in a swarm situation these are swarming termites. Usually from where they start to swarm you will see wings that are transparent in color about an 1/4" long.

If you have a basement with visible framing get a screw driver and probe the areas of the joists and sill plates along the foundation. If you have damage the screw driver will imbed easily into the framing. Also look for the shelter tubes.

Termites need moisture to thrive. So if you have high humidity in the house or poor draininage against the house where the moisture is constant this is a good environment for termites.

Determining if their in your walls is difficult w/o proper tools (usually scopes that look into walls) unless ou want to cut open the wall down near the floor area of the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Persistent Termites [ 1 Answers ]

My home was treated for termites a year ago. The chemical used was Termidor. Since that time, I have noticed termite activity in the same location on three separate occasions and the area was retreated twice. I noticed more termite activity today so I am very concerned. My pest control company...

Termites [ 1 Answers ]

Need to know what options I have for treating termites other than tenting. My next door neighber has a severely weaken immune system so I want a treatment that is non toxic if possible. I haven't yet had a termite inspection but there is evidence of termite damage around my bathroom and fencing

View more questions Search