Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baughm13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Calculating Overhead Rates
    Hey, I can't figure out how to calculate overhead rates when overhead is not giving. Here is my Question:
    X Company has the following estimated costs for the year:

Direct materials $58,400
    Factory supplies $20,200
    Direct labor $23,800
    Indirect labor $28,200
    Selling and Administration $42,000
    Factory rent $42,000
    Factory insurance $61,000

X Company estimates that 1,400 direct labor hours will be worked during the year, and machines will be operated for 64,000 hours during the year. If overhead is applied on the basis of direct labor cost, what will the overhead rate be (rounded to the nearest cent)?

I used the equation Total Cost= Direct Materials+direct labor+OH to solve for OH. To do this I added up all the numbers and subtracted DL and DM. Then I divided the OH by the cost driver which I thought was 1400, because that is the direct labor hours.

If someone could please help me out with an equation or show me how to find OHR when OH is not given, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Eric
    toluodetola Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
    A manufacturing company uses a job order cost accounting system. Overhead is applied using pounds of direct materials used as an allocation base. Total costs for a particular job were $5,720. Of this amount $2,600 was direct labor and $1,040 was direct material. The company pays $26 per hour of direct labor and $2 per pound of direct materials. What is this company's overhead rate?
    Michael Zerr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2013, 06:32 AM
    X company has sales of 8M and profits before taxes $625K. X company has a loan outstanding at local bank for working capital. As the loan officer review the loan application, you are charged with making a recommendation as to whether the $608K should be renewed for another year. Footnote: Underabsorbed overhead of $462K was prorated to inventories (2/3) and COGS (1/3). The footnote is causing me problems where to use this information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating pi to n decimal places [ 5 Answers ]

Suppose your goal is to calculate (not look up) a value of pi that is accurate to n decimal places. Suppose n were 10. How would you do it?

Calculating Material Variances [ 5 Answers ]

The standard price for the Z240 electrical relay (a component used in the production of a commercial refrigeration unit) is $25. Standards call for 2 relays per unit of finished product. In July, the company purchases 100 relays for $2,600. The company used 83 relays in the production of 40...

Calculating board feet [ 7 Answers ]

How do you calculate board feet? I understand Linear feet, but I don't get board feet and apparently neither does anyone else I know.:confused:

Help with calculating amount of Fe [ 2 Answers ]

I did an experiment involving the gravimetric determination of Iron in Geritol. At the end of the experiment I was left with a product, Fe2O3 that weighed 0.417 g I'm not sure how to calculate the amount of Iron from here. This is what I did. I calculated the molar mass of Fe2O3 to be...

View more questions Search