Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Jun 21, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Colitis flare-up, urgent!
    My Husband is having a really terrible "flare up" of his colitis. He realized this morning that he had forgotten to take his Asacol for the past 2 or 3 days and unfortunately, he is having a huge flare up while at the same time he was already suffering from diarrhea and cramps from something he either ate or a bug he caught. So he's having twice the issues right now.

He has had this condition since he was younger. He was home-schooled for the last 3 years of high school because of it. But he is usually so good at taking his prescription that he says he can't remember the last time he had a flare up this bad.

He says the flare up feels like someone is slicing the inside of his intestines. He's been in the bathroom all night to the point that when he goes, there's nothing left.

He is literally wailing in pain and pressing on his stomach and moving his intestines around; I can actually HEAR them moving.

He said he did take a dose of Asacol today, but is there something else he can do to ease the pain? I was hoping maybe someone else who suffers from colitis may know a certain food that can make it feel better or a certain stretch/exercise to help with the cramps? He can't take any OTC pain meds just yet because you can't have more than one dose in 24 hours the bottle says, and he will need it more before work in the morning.

He's moving his intestines around right now to make the pain feel a little better. And besides the fact that it sounds really gross, I can hear the pain in his voice and I can't stand knowing he's hurting. I know it must be awful for him to actually show that he's hurting. =(

So if anyone out there with colitis happens to have some advice for him, please post!

Thank you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 09:30 PM
    Get him to the ER right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ulcerative Colitis [ 1 Answers ]

My son was diagnosed at age 18 with Ulcerative Colitis. He is now 28 and was also diagnosed about 5 months ago with SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder). We now reside in Central Florida. It's been difficult in the past for him to hold down a job for a prolonged period. He just now obtained insurance...

Blood pressure flare up even with meds [ 2 Answers ]

THough I am on medication for high blood pressure, every once in a while it flares up and gets out of control, despite my meds. This morning systolic was 165, diastolic 95. I can usually tell when it's that level even without looking at monitor. Usually it stays below 120 with meds. What could it...

Psoriasis flare up , with new symptoms [ 2 Answers ]

I have been suffering from this disease now for about ten years and at this present time I am in the middle of a moderate to severe flare up , about a few days ago I started experiencing severe pains in the right knee and in both my wrists and also a numbness in my left hand that extends from my...

8 year old has ulcerative colitis [ 2 Answers ]

My 8 year old has ulcerative colitis. The treatments don't seem to be clearing it out. Does anyone have any addvise?

Lymphocitic Colitis [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone tried Ambrotose for this IBD? Or, what else has been effective in controlling this?

View more questions Search