Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amaiwand Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Accessing Drive C over network
    Hi,

I have been trying to access the C drives of other computers over domain envirnoment only by typing \\IP Address of the computer\C$ in Explorer or Run. However I am trying the same command while the network is only being managed by a router that its DHCP is enabled strangely I get the authentication window that has GUEST user as default that can not be changed. The password field is empty, I tried to put any password there, but it did not work. Can anyone help me understand how I can access the C drive of other computers in the network. I have the admin password for the router that manages the network.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    AM
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2009, 12:06 PM

I don't think it's the router. I think that must be doing its job. Check the other computer and make sure that Windows Firewall is properly set to allow you to get in. Also, make sure that permissions on the drive allow you to enter (right-click on the drive letter and select "Sharing and Security" Under the Sharing tab, enable sharing on the network.)

You might need a fully qualified user name (if you can ever get the username to be modifiable). That would be in this form "machinename\username" where machinename is the name of the computer you are trying to connect to.

Try mapping a drive to the computer you're targeting. For example, let's say the machine name was "mike's machine". Right-click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive. Select the drive letter of your choice. Where it says "Folder", enter "\\mike's machine\username" (omit the quotation marks) or "\\192.168.1.1\username" (of course entering the IP address of the target machine" and click "Reconnect at logon" (that's optional). Click on "Connect using a different user name". In the pop-up box, enter the username in ". In the pop-up box, enter the username in " format (that's always the most reliable) and enter the password. Once you click OK and FINISH, an Explorer window should appear informing showing you the drive. If that doesn't work, you will get an error message that could be useful in trouble-shooting the problem.

Post back here if you have any additional problems or if that doesn't work.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 22, 2009, 09:18 AM

Is this on a Domain or Workgroup? You must be an Administrator to access the administrative shares (designated with the dollar sign).

If it is a Domain, then you must be a member of Domain Admins. If it is a workgroup, then you must use the Administrator account on that computer.

Also, when you get the logon prompt, what does it say the "Realm" is?

Do you save passwords? This is not a good practice for Administrators since passwords are subject to change. To see a list of Realms with saved passwords on your computer, run the following from a command prompt:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

Jun 22, 2009, 08:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    Is this on a Domain or Workgroup? You must be an Administrator to access the administrative shares (designated with the dollar sign).

If it is a Domain, then you must be a member of Domain Admins. If it is a workgroup, then you must use the Administrator account on that computer.

Also, when you get the logon prompt, what does it say the "Realm" is?

Do you save passwords? This is not a good practice for Administrators since passwords are subject to change. To see a list of Realms with saved passwords on your computer, run the following from a command prompt:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

Thanks very much for your response,

This is on a workgroup not Domain. I do have all of the previlages as I can always change anything that I want. I can access drive C by putting dollar sign beside it over Domain envirnoment, but I wonder how I can do it over workgroup. I tried it, I get the authentication window, however I can not change the username as it is somehow disabled. All I can do is putting password. I did not save any password.

Please advise,
    Regards,
    Aimal
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 08:48 PM
    As I suggested:

Try mapping a drive to the computer you're targeting. For example, let's say the machine name was "mike's machine". Right-click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive. Select the drive letter of your choice. Where it says "Folder", enter "\\mike's machine\username" (omit the quotation marks) or "\\192.168.1.1\username" (of course entering the IP address of the target machine" and click "Reconnect at logon" (that's optional). Click on "Connect using a different user name". In the pop-up box, enter the username in "machinename\username" format (that's always the most reliable) and enter the password. Once you click OK and FINISH, an Explorer window should appear informing showing you the drive. If that doesn't work, you will get an error message that could be useful in trouble-shooting the problem.

Jun 22, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    I don't think it's the router. I think that must be doing its job. Check the other computer and make sure that Windows Firewall is properly set to allow you to get in. Also, make sure that permissions on the drive allow you to enter (right-click on the drive letter and select "Sharing and Security" Under the Sharing tab, enable sharing on the network.)

You might need a fully qualified user name (if you can ever get the username to be modifiable). That would be in this form "machinename\username" where machinename is the name of the computer you are trying to connect to.

Try mapping a drive to the computer you're targeting. For example, let's say the machine name was "mike's machine". Right-click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive. Select the drive letter of your choice. Where it says "Folder", enter "\\mike's machine\username" (omit the quotation marks) or "\\192.168.1.1\username" (of course entering the IP address of the target machine" and click "Reconnect at logon" (that's optional). Click on "Connect using a different user name". In the pop-up box, enter the username in "machinename\username" format (that's always the most reliable) and enter the password. Once you click OK and FINISH, an Explorer window should appear informing showing you the drive. If that doesn't work, you will get an error message that could be useful in trouble-shooting the problem.

Post back here if you have any additional problems or if that doesn't work.

Hi,
    Thanks very much for your response, I am not on workgroup envirnoment not on domain. I know how to share folders or drives and then access it from other computers. What I meant was how to access the drive of other computers while they are not sharing it manually.

For instance over domain envirnoment you can access any drive of targeted computer by typing \\ipaddress of the target computer\drive letter and $. It of course asks you for authentication and you must have administrative previlages. I tried this and it works perfectly over domain envirnoment. I am trying it now over workgroup envirnoment and it goes fine until I get the authentication window. The problem is that in authentication window the username field is disabled and I can not change it. It is written GUEST on user name that can not be changed. All I can do is putting password on password field that does not work. I want to find the solution on how to access drive C of targeted computer for instance, even if the targeted computer is not sharing it.

Please let me know.

Regards,
    Aimal
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 09:01 PM

I understand that you are not on a domain. What I suggested is that you try to map a drive letter. This allows you to put in a username and password. In other words, you get past the problem you're having. You don't have to worry about the authentication window. You are able to enter a username and password. That's what you are not able to do. I've done this several times with systems that presented exactly what you describe (and they were on workgroups). Usually, after you map a drive to a letter once, you are able to connect more normally (as you are trying to do).

Jun 22, 2009, 09:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    As I suggested:

Hello,
    Thanks again for writing again. I tried it, but as the drive is not share it does not work. You instruction only works, if the drive or any folder on drive is shared. I know how to map a drive when the target is sharing folders or drives. My question is related to the computers not sharing any folder or drive. I can access drives or folders that are not being shared by the target computer over domain envirnoment by writing \\ip address of targeted computer\drive letter and $. By doing this I usually get authentication window and by putting administrative username and password I can access it easily with no problem. As I said it is only on domain envirnoment. My question is how I can do it over workgroup envirnoment? I use the same procedure over workgroup envirnoment, it goes well until the authentication window. But in authentication window the username field is disabled and all I can do is typing password. I can see that on disabled field of username it is written guest that I can not change it to administrator. Do you have any solution to address this problem?

Regards,
    AM
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 09:23 PM

OK. You want to access a drive that's hidden. I believe that the drive is automatically shared for administrative purposes. Bit I'm not positive if on workgroups (I know it is this way on domains). I suggest you share the drive -- at least temporarily and then make sure you can connect to it -- that nothing else is blocking you. Once you connect to it normally, go back to sharing it only for administrative purposes and then try again. Make sure the two computers are in the same workgroup.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 23, 2009, 08:52 AM

The part that Perito posted about selecting a different user name is VERY important.

Try using the NET USE command as well. If the machine name is MIKE, then type the following (replace <sp> with the space) at a command prompt:

NET<sp>USE<sp>\\MIKE\C$<sp>*<sp>/USER:mike\administrator

The astersisk is for the password or you can leave the asterisk and get a prompt for the password.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accessing external drive from home network. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently activated my home network with two computers. The printer is shared but I can not do back up from the computer not directly connected to the external drive. I am using Windows Live Onecare to do backups. I enter \\computer name connected to drive\backup. It replies that I need write...

Network accessing [ 1 Answers ]

Dear friends, Im working in an office as a officer, for my department I want to share a folder so I have shared my folder, if any body is aceessing my PC in network it is asking guest password in this case the guest is inactive , but I want to enter the user name and password, this is my...

Accessing FTP through My Network Places [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to access a music file I've hidden on my website, but of course I can't remember what I've called it so I thought I'd access the FTP window and look for it that way, but I'm having trouble getting on it by putting in the ftp.address.net bit - it keeps timing out before the login box...

Two Network cards in One computer accessing two networks.. [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem. I have one network card (A) accessing the internal network i.e.. Net. Printer, shared folders on other computers, and shared servers. Another network card (B) accessing a public network address for VoIP and T1 traffic i.e.. Ports...

View more questions Search