Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2009, 12:48 AM
    U.S. push one for English
    Does anyone find it odd that when you call on the phone and an answering system responds and the voice in English says to push 1 for English and 2 for Spanish etc, I'm talking local business.

We are in America and so far most books and the language for the past how many years are in English. The irony of it is the voice is already in English. If you hear the words in English already why push a button?

Obviously Spanish has become our second language.

I know for a fact in Puerto Rico Spanish is the main language as in Mexico.. There phones answer in Spanish and certainly doesn't say in Spanish push 1 for Spanish. Its 2 for English and that's rare. I find it a bit insulting. I was born here..
    raychi Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2009, 12:53 AM

I know what you mean. When ever I have to phone my parents, there work phone always says "for english, button 1, for spanish, button 2, and for chinese button ."

And that's in England! What has the world come to!!
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 21, 2009, 01:59 AM

That happens to be the way the computer system is set up for some obvious reasons. If you didn't have to push anything for English, the computer would have to wait a certain amount of time to see if a response is going to be entered. So its quicker to ask for an immediate response, either 1 or 2. Latinos are the second largest minority in this country so businesses want to cater to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much oil do I put in my push mower? [ 2 Answers ]

How much oil am I supposed to put in my push mower? Yes I know about checking the dipstick but I need to know the exact amount to put in there in the first place. It's the cheapest push mower Wal-Mart sells and it's the WeedEater brand made by Briggs and Stratton if I am correct. Thanks! ...

Push Ups [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 16 years old, and want to know which is the best way to do push ups, I know there is many variations, such as inclined, on knuckles etc Which is the best for building up biceps and chest? Thanks

Try to push this friendship [ 3 Answers ]

SORRY FOR MY SPELLING IN ADVANCE!! I've got this guy friend I'm suddenly getting closer to and I'm really happy about it. I was friends with this chick who's still my friend but since she got a boyfriend, my guy friend isn't so close to her anymore, I'm kind of taking her place. I'm starting to...

Push to connect [ 5 Answers ]

Any recommendations on push to connect, crimp ring and stainless steel crimp connection. Thanks

Push?! [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering what crybabypirate meant when she said to push when I go up about my roundoffs.Was she talking about my hands or my feet?? Remember, there is no stupid question.! addy

View more questions Search