Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 12:25 AM
    Biking for exercise.
    HI there,

So I think I have found a solution to weight loss. My friend just lost a ton of weight biking, now I have a few questions regarding this.

Will my tummy be the last weight to be lost since it doesn't seem to be an integral part of the work out?

Are there any exercise tips for biking?
    raychi Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2009, 12:28 AM

Usually, you lose weight from the bottom to the top. And on the way it creates curves. So you will lose more weight in your stomach, even though it isn't doing much. That's the great thing about exercise. It's easy and fun.
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 12:30 AM

Haha, it's not always easy. That's why I'm overweight.

But biking seems the best way to get exercise, hang out with friends, and have fun at the same time.

So I'm just wondering its effectiveness. Do I need to bike ten miles a day to lose two pounds a week? Or how effective is it?
    iam5050 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2009, 02:02 AM

Actually Bicycling "Cycling" is a great form of exercise... I am/was an avid cyclist and put on a few pounds myself...

What is really cool about cycling your gut is considered your core. The core is essentiail in cycling and will definitiley get worked on... The type of terrain you choose to ride willalso dictacte your results. Challenge yourself to the skill you are at currently an set realistic goals... SET YOUR OWN GOALS-- NOT SOMEBODY ELSE"S..

I have learned both ways and hurt myself by trying to hit someone else's goals when I wasn' t ready. I think it is important to NOTE THAT CYCLING is form of exercise... As it will help with cardio, legs, and upper body, you cannot replace regular wieght traiing
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2009, 02:30 PM

Cycling is brilliant for weight loss. You can burn 800 calories an hour without feeling that you are killing yourself. The wind dries your sweat as you go, and you don't hammer your feet or knees.

You'll get fat loss all over, but you can't stop reduce. You'll look a lot better no matter what order the weight comes off.

Best tip for cycling is to vary what you do. Some days, go for a long spin. Other days, hit the hills as hard as possible, mayby standing up on the pedals. And sometimes, do HIIT, where you do flat out sprints followed by slower recovery periods. I often do this by picking a car and trying to race it. And sometimes, just cycle with your friends, or to have a bit of fun.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2009, 04:44 PM

A lot depends on HOW you cycle. If you are cycling for weight loss, you would be better off using a spin class. I've been cycling for years with a club. Depending on the ride level, you may not lose any weight. I generally ride with a B-C level group (B=14-18 mph, C=10-14 mph). A typical ride goes like this:

Cycle 10-20 miles often with multiple stops to a destination. At the destination we generally have a breakfast type meal (Bagels, etc.). We then ride 10-20 miles back. Generally rides start at 8:30-9AM and end by 1PM.

This is not a grueling workout. While it will burn calories, its usually not enough to lose weight unless you couple it with dieting or other exercise.

Even the stronger riders, who will do 50-60 miles at a 18-25mph pace may not lose a lot of weight.
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I cannot afford a gym right now, hence the free exercise of biking.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 09:57 AM

Just to add to what the others have already said... I have found good results with drawing in my stomach muscles while cycling and holding them briefly, then relaxing them, and repeating the pattern. Sort of like crunches while you are cycling at the same time. Just remember to breathe as it is easy to want to hold your breath as you do them!
    Vision Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 10:36 PM

Thanks Doula!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Biking for weight loss [ 2 Answers ]

I want to loss weight, am doing 45 minutes uphill walk (apprx 2.5 km) and then a 30 minutes downhill. If I switch to biking of 1-2 hours will it be more effective then uphill walk.

Biking [ 2 Answers ]

AM I hurting my nether regions when I bike?

Is it OK to exercise? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know about working out while you are trying to get pregnant? I have been working out but I wasn't sure if it does anything to your body while you are trying to conceive? Also, should I still be doing sit-ups?

Exercise help [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have two problem spots on my body my stomach and my legs. I would like to get my legs toned and have a somewhat flat stomach. Is there any specific exercises that could move the process along faster. Thanks Brit

Biking... Questions [ 20 Answers ]

All right, I started riding about two weeks ago. Everyday I do about 5.4 miles of relatively flat riding (In NY, so as flat as it gets). On saturdays I try to do 2 rides. I can do the ride in about 25 minutes on average. I weigh 205 at 6' and I used to be about 175, but over the last 2 years...

View more questions Search