Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 11:49 AM
    I hate shots also! I get so scared though, for me its just fear.

I don't think there is a person in the world that is 100% confident and secure.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 11:57 AM

So let's take a vote here... are phobias an insecurity?
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    So let's take a vote here...are phobias an insecurity?
    No I think phobias are entirely different. I am deathly terrified of spiders. Fears are a different level I think then insecurities.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 12:10 PM

I think that phobias are different, but for anyone reacting or ashamed of how they react to their phobia, then it becomes an insecurity.
    Business Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 07:24 PM

I think you nailed it Justy.
    Business Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 08:01 PM

Well, I see that we have no newcomers to confess their insecurities. Should I assume that all is peachy keen in the universe? :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 09:36 PM

I fixed any insecure problems I might have---just stick to myself and feel like a shut in!
    Business Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 11:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I fixed any insecure problems I might have---just stick to myself and feel like a shut in!
    Aha... but you have the key in your pocket...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 02:38 AM
    Hi Stringer et al!

I just now found this thread! I'm quite comfortable now at speaking and/or performing in front of people. Didn't used to be that way, though. Have had panic attacks for a number of decades. Through just trying and getting in front of people to do things, I've learned how to control the attacks. But, the "fight or flight" reaction is still there...

Thanks!
    Business Expert

Aug 15, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi Stringer et al!

I just now found this thread! I'm quite comfortable now at speaking and/or performing in front of people. Didn't used to be that way, though. Have had panic attacks for a number of decades. Through just trying and getting in front of people to do things, I've learned how to control the attacks. But, the "fight or flight" reaction is still there...

Thanks!
    Clough, you are one of the most dependable friends that I have. I have had the privilege of getting to know you and I know that anything that you set your mind to is already accomplished.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 01:12 PM
    I just found this thread too!

I have insecurities.

I do not feel comfortable when people express 'concern' for me, because I begin to feel that I deserve it, and I lose my focus.

I am very insecure in enclosed spaces, not quite a panic, but close. I am insecure with automatic window's in my truck, and insecure when I try to explain something that I know very well, but lack confidence to get it through without putting both feet in my mouth, and I get that way, that so I don't seem like a know it all.

I am totally creeped out and insecure about making left hand turns, and will go out of my way by miles to avoid them.

I'm insecure as a parent, always wondering 'what if' and if I did the right thing.

I'm far too trusting, and take people at their word, only to learn otherwise sometimes, and then I'm too insecure the other way to face people the same again.

I'm insecure about my ability to follow a map, and get lost and panic, even in a parking lot.

I am insecure about how others perceive me, I mean me, not my hair, teeth, boobs, etc.

How's that for a start lol
    Business Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    I just found this thread too!!

I have insecurities.

I do not feel comfortable when people express 'concern' for me, because I begin to feel that I deserve it, and I lose my focus.

I am very insecure in enclosed spaces, not quite a panic, but close. I am insecure with automatic window's in my truck, and insecure when I try to explain something that I know very well, but lack confidence to get it through without putting both feet in my mouth, and I get that way, that so I don't seem like a know it all.

I am totally creeped out and insecure about making left hand turns, and will go out of my way by miles to avoid them.

I'm insecure as a parent, always wondering 'what if' and if I did the right thing.

I'm far too trusting, and take people at their word, only to learn otherwise sometimes, and then I'm too insecure the other way to face people the same again.

I'm insecure about my ability to follow a map, and get lost and panic, even in a parking lot.

I am insecure about how others perceive me, I mean me, not my hair, teeth, boobs, etc.

How's that for a start lol
    HI Jake,

Well, a good start. Have you tried to do anything about the insecurities? If so, can you tell us?

Stringer
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Well, I see that we have no newcomers to confess their insecurities. Should I assume that all is peachy keen in the universe? :)
    All is good in my world - can't think of any insecurities I have. Being in libraries for years and years has taught me that people, no matter their race, creed, or religion, all bleed red and want to be accepted for who they are. I converse with the schizophrenic ones like we're having a normal conversation, work with the library browsers as they search out some mystery or esoteric fact, and oooh and aaah with the normal, everyday patron who wants to share some facet of his life with me while he's checking out the newest Cussler or Evanovich.
    Business Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    All is good in my world - can't think of any insecurities I have. Being in libraries for years and years has taught me that people, no matter their race, creed, or religion, all bleed red and want to be accepted for who they are. I converse with the schizophrenic ones like we're having a normal conversation, work with the library browsers as they search out some mystery or esoteric fact, and oooh and aaah with the normal, everyday patron who wants to share some facet of his life with me while he's checking out the newest Cussler or Evanovich.
    Wife and I love Clive, I have all his books in hardback in my library/loft upstairs WG.

Thank God WG, :) I need someone as an example, you fit the job :). Someone needs to counter balance. Think of those that have been able to tell you their 'items' and left feeling a little better that someone listened to them. The thing is, most people are not good listeners at all. That 'art' has diminished a long time ago, probably one of the reasons that Tweeter is so successful... :p
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 01:48 PM
    I got a TomTom GPS for Christmas last year, and that has helped a lot with that insecurity.

With people, particularly when I'm having personal problems, I keep my business to myself. When all is said and done, then I talk about it.

The day to day insecurities I've learned to live with; the left hand turn thing, and enclosed spaces. It is usually only a minor inconvenience to alter my turns, and I take stairs instead of elevators.

I think all of us have these little odd things that we do, or don't do, and insecurities that get in the way of living, I'd be pushing that envelope to a phobia stage.

Some things ease as well. I had also a terrible thing about spiders in my 20's, and now, they don't bother me a bit.

It is a terribly frustrating thing to feel panic coming on. It's like a force. Maybe for insecurities the best way to handle them is avoid them, or come up with something alternative that you can live with.
    Business Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    I got a TomTom GPS for Christmas last year, and that has helped a lot with that insecurity.

With people, particularly when I"m having personal problems, I keep my business to myself. When all is said and done, then I talk about it.

The day to day insecurities I've learned to live with; the left hand turn thing, and enclosed spaces. It is usually only a minor inconvenience to alter my turns, and I take stairs instead of elevators.

I think all of us have these little odd things that we do, or don't do, and insecurities that get in the way of living, I'd be pushing that envelope to a phobia stage.

Some things ease as well. I had also a terrible thing about spiders in my 20's, and now, they don't bother me a bit.

It is a terribly frustrating thing to feel panic coming on. It's like a force. Maybe for insecurities the best way to handle them is avoid them, or come up with something alternative that you can live with.
    Possibly Jake, but I believe that someone smarter than me would probably say that you should face them to try and get rid of them...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Thank God WG, :) I need someone as an example, you fit the job :). Someone needs to counter balance. Think of those that have been able to tell you their 'items' and left feeling a little better that someone listened to them.
    Forgot to mention that I no longer work at reference and at the front desk, but now am in charge of the volunteers (I started the program in 1993) of which several are handicapped and many have been retirees, the court-ordered community service program that includes teens to older adults, the homebound patrons who receive our books and services every three weeks, am the facilitator of the library's successful writers' group, and am the go-to person for the staff (am the longest-time employee in the adult department). When I am actually working, I am the senior cataloger and may have to telephone our system headquarters, other libraries, our materials distributor (Baker & Taylor), and our AV materials suppliers such as Random House Audio, Recorded Books, Brilliance, the Teaching Company, etc. I have a master's in counseling psychology; most of my clients and, of course, the people I deal with through the library have told me they want to be my BFF. Yes, people like to be listened to and, even more so, be validated in some way. I don't dare have insecurities! My sister and I were out shopping one day when I was at home in NYS, and she jokingly said, "You'll talk to anybody, won't you!"
    Business Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Forgot to mention that I no longer work at reference and at the front desk, but now am in charge of the volunteers (I started the program in 1993) of which several are handicapped and many have been retirees, the court-ordered community service program that includes teens to older adults, the homebound patrons who receive our books and services every three weeks, am the facilitator of the library's successful writers' group, and am the go-to person for the staff (am the longest-time employee in the adult department). When I am actually working, I am the senior cataloger and may have to telephone our system headquarters, other libraries, our materials distributor (Baker & Taylor), and our AV materials suppliers such as Random House Audio, Recorded Books, Brilliance, the Teaching Company, etc. I have a master's in counseling psychology; most of my clients and, of course, the people I deal with through the library have told me they want to be my BFF. Yes, people like to be listened to and, even more so, be validated in some way. I don't dare have insecurities! My sister and I were out shopping one day when I was at home in NYS, and she jokingly said, "You'll talk to anybody, won't you!"

WG, I am the same way, it irritates my wife at times...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I keep my man when I have so many insecurities? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 38 year old female and currently in a fairly new relationship (6months). Previous to this I had been single for 4 years (my own choice), but when I met this guy he seemed so different to anyone else I had ever met and so I decided to give him a chance and start dating again. He is...

Don't we all have insecurities? [ 3 Answers ]

Talk to people who break up. The dumper or the dumpee. And I promise both will say the other was insecure. Aren't we all insecure. No one wants to be rejected for who they are as a person. Everyone questions their place in life. Some people who can appear to have everything end up committing...

All my insecurities are out.now what? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I have posted before and got great responses however I have a hard time following them, that is my problem. I really need to take advice at this point because I know what pushes guys away and I am on the brink of that and lucky I have not yet. I have been with my boyfriend for 8 months. I love...

My Insecurities [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I Am A 45 Yr Old Woman Who Got Married Again Almost A Yr Ago, After Being Alone For 2 Yrs. My First Husband Passed Away. I Met My Husband Online In August 2004, We Were Married August 2006. We Have A Dream Come True For Both Of Us. But I Have Insecurities.I Love Him More Then Anything In This...

Insecurities [ 6 Answers ]

How do I get rid of insecurities need help please I don't know how I need help

View more questions Search