Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katehaffenden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 01:49 PM
    Abusive teenager
    My daughter is 15 and she has became very abusive and she has started to hit me in the last recent months.
    Today she pulled my hair,punched me and through my glasses off my head because none off her friends waned to come out with us,so I took her home while I went out.I didn't really enjoy myself as I was thinking the whole what was she going to do when I get home?
    I am a lone parent of two a boy 12 and my daughter and she is driving to the brink now,I just don't know what to do,please help me.
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Jun 20, 2009, 02:12 PM

In the end, you will have to set up boundaries for her and enforce them. It's normal for a 15 year old girl to test the boundaries of behavior, permission, dominance, and power, but it's not normal for things to get where you have let them get. Briefly stated, she's being a sh*t.

You are the parent. She is your child, not your friend. She is expected to grouse when you limit her liberties, but she must respect you and your authority and responsibility for her life. Right now, she doesn't.

Your situation is fixable. Get thee to a therapist who specializes in families with teenagers. If she will go with you, great. If not, go alone. Until you find the right one, watch some of those shows on TV that depict family situations like yours," Nanny 911" or something. You will get some good ideas. But absolutely get to a professional!

The problem is not in her. It is in the relationship you have with her. She's going nuts with being a 15 year-old and needs her Mama to establish reality, which you haven't been doing. To change this, you have to change within yourself. Be bold, courageous, and honest in the therapy and with her. If you don't it will get worse. If you do, everybody grows.

You can fix this.

Tao

PS: Where is her father? Is he a resource or an obstacle? What other resources do you have?
    raychi Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2009, 02:13 PM

Tell her you are concerned for. Be nice and try and make her see that she needs help. Don't be too hard on her but talk it through.
    caray0127 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 10:30 PM

Whoop her. You should never be scared of your child. You birth her. She didn't birth you. Don't ever let your children abuse you.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 10:51 PM

I have to ask, how do you punish her? Do you enforce punishments? Did she go through something traumatic to bring on this behavior? The bottom line is, you are the parent. You make the rules, she follows them. But I feel like if we had more details we might be able to give you better advice on how to make that happen.
    jaerochelle Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 10:56 PM

Do you defend yourself?? I mean like hit her back?? She does it and will continue to do it because you allow her to. You need to gain back control of this relationship! YOU are the mother... not her! You deserve RESPECT... do what ever you have to do. Don't feel sorry for yourself put your foot down! I have to tell you if I would have attempted to to hit my mama... even now being a grown woman... she would whoop my a**!! Not advising you to do that, I'm just saying! But you need to stand your ground... If you feel threaten all the time you need to send her away... you should feel at peace in your home not wondering whether your child is going to hit you or not... excuse my language, but F*** being a friend you are her MOTHER!! Be firm, strong, confident, and don't put up with anymore of her BS!! Stand yo ground mama!! Good luck n god bless!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being a teenager. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a teenagee girl, I'm 15. This questions to all people past their teenage years, it's simple really, all I want to know is 'how was your teenage years?' I'm just plainly curious. Things like friends, boy/girlfriends, first kisss, mood swings, how you got on with family, sad/happy...

Is this just me being a teenager? [ 5 Answers ]

I feel so stressed, and so cut off from all of my friends! I feel like I'm pushing them away by telling them how I feel and I've gotten to the point where I don't realise my feelings until I've said them. Over the past few months I've become different from how I used to be! I've been feeling sick...

A really old man dated my teenager and what do I do? [ 55 Answers ]

I need help with this. I found out that my 17 year old went out with a 38 year old. Can't that man get in trouble for that? I don't think she should date someone that old. Do you think it is right for someone that age to date someone that old? Can people date someone that old when you are that...

Disrespectful teenager [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 16 years old. He constantly argues about everything. He says things that are just mean. I don't know what else to do. He was cussing and pushing me when he lost his temper. I had him put in juvenile detention overnight. He was put on six months probation and started seeing a counselor. He...

View more questions Search