Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortydee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Judgement against Contractor
    Any suggestion on getting a contractor to pay my court judgement?
    I have one of his bank account #, but he has no money in the account.
    Is there another way to get more information on him? He just became a US
    Citizen and has no social security number?

Signed
    Frustrated!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2006, 06:24 AM
    Umm, if he became a US Citizen, then he DOES have an SSN. But that's not really the issue here. You have run into the Catch 22 of suing someone. Once you get the judgement YOU have to collect. You need to find assets of his that you can attach or put a lien on. If you know where he lives you can put a lien on his home (assuming he owns). You might also be able to seize or lien his work equipment.

As a contractor, he probably doesn't get a salary so that's out.

Is he licensed with the local government? Many areas require that. You can then enlist the licensing board in helping you collect. Or at least threaten to have the license pulled if he doesn't pay up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! I'm about to call a contractor! [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I have two Carrier AC units, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. Last year, both units worked fine. Now, my upstairs unit is not working. The fan on both the inside and the outside is working, but it is not blowing cold air. My downstairs unit blows fine. Now, I know very...

Please Help: Advice for a homeowner about a Contractor! [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon. First some background. Recently I got a new position with my company. I stay in Cherry Hill NJ 3 weeks of every month for work, and on the 4th week I fly home to Oregon to be with my family. Hard hours, but that's how I pay the bills. I rent a room with a friend while here,...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but here goes, I am a middle aged man wanting to start a painting business, a career change if you will? But do I need some kind of contractors license to do this? I paint fantastic and pretty good in faux painting. How would I get by without getting sued for being a...

Sub-contractor liability [ 3 Answers ]

I am a resident of Michigan,and am a sub-contractor for a limo company. I am curious about a situation that happened to two other employees one was hit by a stolen car and was charged by our boss the deductible for the damage.the other guy hit a barrier and is being charged for all the repairs to...

View more questions Search