Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drewski86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Is my lease still binding if it wasn't signed?
    The acting landlady in 2008 never had me sign the lease because of questions I had about an extra utility bill and also being asked to sign two months early. And since then, she's no longer employed and also as far as I know there has been 4 managers since her. Now the current management wants to evict me for not paying said utility bill which was never explained or addressed.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 02:11 PM

IF you don't have a lease, you have to get out within 30 days of being notified that you presence is no longer wanted.

Good Luck,
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 02:12 PM

Hello d:

If the lease wasn't signed by you, then it's not binding on you. Consequently, your rental term is month to month. Your landlord can have you out with 30 days written notice, and you can vacate by giving him the same.

Apparently, he wants you out, and you're fine with it. Cool. Send him your 30 day notice and move then. It doesn't matter what HE'S doing, because you'll be long gone before an eviction hearing takes place.

In your notice, however, mention the law on the subject, and tell them that if they ruin your credit by filing this fraudulent and frivolous eviction lawsuit, you'll sue them for all their worth. Send your letter/notice certified, return receipt requested.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    IF you don't have a lease, you have to get out within 30 days of being notified that you presence is no longer wanted.

Good Luck,

Actually this is not correct - you must vacate in the same time frame for which you pay rent. If the landlord wants yout on the 1st of the following month you must receive notification before the 1st of the previous month.

It is not 30 calendar days.

Likewise, if the landlord wants you out by the first of March you would have to receive notification prior to the first of February - and there are not 30 days in February. You would not be allowed to hold over until the 30 days ran.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2009, 06:06 PM

Choux, glad to see you, but I will go with Judy,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 02:50 PM

It is normally from pay period to pay period, the landlord does not have to pro-rate the rents. Many do because they are nice but don't expect them to
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2009, 04:06 PM

This is governed by state law. Some states use a straight notice of x days (usually 30). Others require a full rental period. Others might be less. So you need to check with your local law.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This is governed by state law. Some states use a straight notice of x days (usually 30). Others require a full rental period. Others might be less. So you need to check with your local law.

I'm not sure that being asked to vacate and being evicted are the same thing - being evicted is (of course) 30 days (depending on the State).

Anyone have a specific date where being asked to leave, "lease" being called into play, where it's 30 days and not rental period?

(Love to learn something new)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties? [ 6 Answers ]

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties?

Contract signed by someone else but in my name. Binding? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, My mother took out a gym membership in my name as a Christmas gift. The contract is filled out in my name but signed by by mother. My mother has paid 11 months of the contract, but accidentally cancelled the direct debit one month early. The contract was completed and signed by my mother...

Is a lease binding if not signed by lessor but sign. Forged by her mom [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease in Florida that I need to break. The lessor did not sign it but her 80yr old mom signed her daughters name . Can she sue me for the remainder or can I just give her 30 days notice

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Are email commitments to lease binding if the lease has not been signed? [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 emails from a rentor stating that they will take the property for the summer (like they have for the last 3 years) and that they are putting the lease and the check for the total rent amount in the mail. We then received an email saying they changed their minds. We never received the...

View more questions Search